Background

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Day 34: 1st Catch!!!!

Day Shift: Since I finished my 'Assists' yesterday, that means that I was first up for births this shift. Krys McNeil happened to be my supervisor, as well as Ate´Ana (who I have never really worked with before).
My Birth Team: me as Primary, Ate´Ana as Secondary, Jordan as Assistant, and Krys as Charter.

At 6:25 AM, a gal in labor came in. She was Amber's cont. Krys welcomed her in, and then called me over.... I guess Amber just happened to be on vacation starting today for a couple days! Isn't that terrible?!?

The mom-Elen was 35 - G2P1 (her first was a little girl born in 2007). It was really sad, because she was extremely poor, so poor, that her husband stayed home 'sweeping', while she came. She had no bana (husband) or bantay (watcher/helper) with her, which is considered quite misfortunate here in the Phils.

She hadn't eaten since the day before since they had no money, and had hardly any clothes with her for her or baby, so we made her meals and gave her and the baby clothes--her birthing fee was also to the most minimal possible. (One cultural observation--and this is not just at Mercy--is that you try to have them pay for something, even if it is only a few pesos, because it makes them feel like they have a responsibility, and gives them a reason to be greatful.)

Onto the birth: Elen came into Mercy on 6/15, with sporadic contractions that were getting harder sometimes, but through an IE, we found she was only 1cm, so she was sent home with instructions of when to come back.

She came back at 6:25 AM this morning (GA-gestation age-38 6/7 weeks), with contractions being moderate, every 2-3 minutes and lasting 60 seconds.

At 6:55, Krys and I did an IE on her (my first!!), and found that she was fully dilated and effaced, 0 station, and BOW (bag of waters) bulging. Her last baby was born at home, and there was great evidence that she majorly tore internally during the birth, and was not sutured afterwards: making her 'internal floor' pretty unstable. To help with that, we did extensive support and counter-pressure during pushes, and it worked!!! She didn't tear!! Praise the Lord!!!

At 7:18, her BOW ruptured spontaneously with a 'SPLASH' (literally 'baptizing' me, the wall, and the bed--similar to what I did when I was born!! LOL now that's a funny thought!!!)..... Krys warned me that it might 'explode', and so I tried to 'guard', but unfortunately...ummm.... :-) oops! Okay, actually, kinda funny....as many assists/chartings/observes as I have done, I have never actually seen an S/AROM (spontaneous/artificial rupture of membranes)...I've always been charting, or getting something or other, so I'd never actually seen how the midwives block the 'Spray'...

The BOW had moderate mec. staining, so we got the O2 (suctioning device) ready for the baby. Jordan was my assistant, and she did SUCH a good job!! She did so many jobs at once....getting the mom drinks, getting us stuff, supporting the mom, etc. etc. THANKS JORDAN!!!!

Elen asked to sit on the Birth Stool, and no sooner had she done that, she felt the urge to push, and at 7:43 AM, baby was out!!!! A Baby Girl!!!!
Her APGAR Scores were 7 and 8 out of 10, she weighed 3250 grams or 7 lbs. 3 oz. and was 19.75 inches long. Elen named her 'Juvelyn'.

Weighing Baby
Baby Check!
Foot Prints

Jane Examining Baby (the cord stump was a little short) (Ate´ Ana walking out)

We gave Elen an antibiotic to protect her from any infection created by the internal support/counter pressure we did, and also gave her 10 units Pit.
What I Learned:
- How to conduct an IE
- How to support the puerta internally
- How not to block the SROM :)
- How dump Alcohol on myself AFTER not blocking the SROM properly.
- How important it is to make sure that your ENTIRE birth team knows it's your FIRST handle. :)
- How it's okay to cry after the birth (even if it's in the bathroom) --just because--
- How much more paperwork there is as the 'Handler' than as the 'Charter'.
- How to catch the placenta/membranes so that it will not tear, leaving remnants in the uterus.
- How amazing it is to catch a baby
- How God works miracles

I am reminded of Psalms 139:13-15, and what a privilege it truly is to be able to assist God in the delivery of a miracle:
For Thou hast possessed my reins: Thou hast covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise Thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are Thy works' and that my soul knoweth right well. My substance was not hid from Thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

I was cast upon Thee from the womb: Thou art my God from my mother's belly.
~ Psalms 22:10 ~
Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.
~ Psalms 127:3 ~

Maybe the most overwhelming thing about this birth, was how God answered my deepest desire:
I delivered my first baby on my birthday!!!! (PST Time) How Great is our God??? How can we but stand in awe of Him???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...