Background

Thursday, February 27, 2014

EU: Travel Adventures

Travel truly is an adventure, and our trip to Europe has already proven that it will be another memory maker!!

Last night, we were told to be ready to leave at 4am. However, upon sleeping through my alarm clock, I found it was 4:28am, and I panicked... To make matters worse, upon heading upstairs, (for I've been sleeping in the basement--the germ-free zone, since the stomach flu made it's way through our home {except me!} this last week....), I found everyone was still in bed too!!

Meeting mom, I found out that we had accidentally looked at a different trip's itinerary taking place later this month, and we actually didn't have to leave until 8am!! (Now that's a record on both scores! Wrong time AND so late!!)
6 of our Bumps on a Log...
(apologies for the color....my computer uploaded it weird)
So...we arrive at GEG, and find out that after we confirmed our flight reservations yesterday, somehow, there was a miscommunication between the 3 different airlines, and all the tickets for us kids from Portland to Amsterdam were cancelled, and 4 had been given to others!!!
Praise God, since it was their fault, we were able to encourage them to reschedule the 4 other passengers to a different flight so we could all be together...otherwise, it would be chaos from Amsterdam to Edinburgh...
Filling out Lost and Found cards for all of us... :)
Meanwhile, us kids patiently waited...and I had an interesting conversation with the lady next to us:
Her: "Are you from around here?"
Me: "Yes, we live in Coeur d'Alene."
Her: "Are you all homeschooled?"
Me: (confused), "Uh, actually yes....... Is it that obvious???"
Her: (smiling) "Yes!"

Wow....I think that is a compliment?? :) Never in all our travels have I had someone ask that.... Oh, and yes, she was Californian.. ;P

So...then we get on the plane, and I just happened to have a seat next to a very nice lady....with a very big German Shepherd/Anatolian cross, sitting "in her lap"!!!! NOT good, as I'm pretty allergic to dogs--especially gorgeous big hairballs....
(And I'm thinking....wow! What a way to start out our trip!!!" Praise God, Rebekah volunteered to switch seats with me, and was able to encourage her in righteousness...
So, a good friend encouraged me to try the "pen experiment"...something I'd never done before while flying, which through gravity shows what angle you are in the air.... Kinda fun (even though I grabbed my camera kinda late...) (And...for the note, that is Rachel's bunny ears behind me....) :)

On a completely different topic, something I'm really trying to cultivate right now is a heart of gratefulness.... Sometimes, it is easy to take individuals for granted, and react instead of respond appropriately when they do things that you don't appreciate... So, instead of reacting, I'm purposing to focus on what they are doing right, and praise them for those areas....

PS....David just made my day....crystallized ginger!!! Woohoo!!!!!
Until next time!! :) (Probably in Scotland--in a day or two??)
From my devotions:
Keep your eyes on Me! Waves of adversity may wash over you, and you may feel tempted to give up. Don't allow your circumstances to consume your attention, else you lose sight of Me.
Yet, I am with you always, holding you by your right hand.
I am fully aware of your situation, and I will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able to bear.

Your gravest danger is worrying about tomorrow. If you try to carry tomorrow's burdens today, you will stagger under the load and eventually fall flat.  You must discipline yourself to live within the boundaries of today. It is the present moment that I walk close to you, helping you carry your burdens. Keep your focus on My Presence in the present.

"Nevertheless, I am continually with Thee: Thou hast holden me by my right hand.  Thou shall guide me with Thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory.  Whom have I in heaven but Thee?  and there is none upon earth that I desire beside Thee.
My flesh and my heart faith: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever."
~ Psalms 73:23-26 ~

8 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord that you all were able to travel together despite the many obstacles that you had to work with! Portland...as in, Portland, Oregon??? Please tell me you all weren't THAT close to us without us even knowing! I'm having cousin withdrawals.... :(
    Thanks for sharing the part about gratefulness as well -a good reminder to work on! :) Blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Elsie, we were in Portland..but only for about an hour...which gave us enough time to walk across the airport to the International section and upload photos to blog.. :)
      So...maybe next time?? Love you!!

      Delete
  2. Glad you all got the tickets sorted! Missing you already!! And still so :jealous: that you're going to be in Scotland. ;D
    Was the dog some sort of guide dog? Weird that they would let her have it on her lap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww...Tasha!!! You would SO love Scotland!!! It is amazing!! I can't wait to get out and really see some of it tomorrow...
    No...he wasn't a guide dog....just her pet, that they thought could have the seat next to her, but then they didn't have room, and assigned my seat next to her... You know--airport miscommunications... *sigh ;)
    And...he wasn't actually completely on her lap--just partially (he was bigger than Bonnie..)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So is being from California bad??;) Thanks for the update! Whew! Glad you made it to your flights that is such a scary feeling. I love travelling but airport miscommunications can end up being a big mess.;) Hugs from CA.;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...nice try Ashley! Gracious no!! Just some of their thinking and legislature.... Most Cali's are awesome!
      It's so good to hear from you Ash!! God bless you!!

      Delete
  5. A homeschooler will always stand out in a crowd, even if traveling alone:) Posture and body language are dead giveaways... (not a bad thing). Awesome pen trick:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking from experience? Well, I would have to agree...at least, if they were raised properly... ;)
      Good points...and thanks! :)

      Delete

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...