Background

Thursday, July 28, 2011

7/24 - Bukid Church/MJ

Got up at 7 am. The team split up in 2 parties for church, as they were asked to go to another church in another village this Sunday (the last one before they fly back to the U.S.) as well as the one that they are encouraging to grow. So, Kayla, Belle, Angela, and Weng, Lang-Lang, and 1 of the girls went to the other village, while Jordan, Arlin, Heather, Lissa, the other 2 girls and Sylvette and I went to the Tinucoran Church.
Tinucoran Church-made from Cement
There was a problem though....there were 19 people--most of which needed a shower--to get ready that morning, and we had one bathroom. Since Kayla's group had to leave at 8am, they of course got the showers first, but they were minimal compared to the rest of us. I ended up being towards the end of the lineup of showers, and it seemed like more people kept coming, either needing to use the CR or take showers themselves, and since I was the visitor and had things I needed to do (eat breakfast, repack all my stuff,  and sort photos for the Casiklan Team---Part of the plan made yesterday, was that Jordan, Sylvette, and I as soon as church was over, would drive to Casiklan (3-4 hr. drive) to help with the baptisms going on there.), I kept letting people take their showers before mine.

Well, I ended up waiting more than an hour since "my turn" came, and ended up being the VERY last person of everyone!!! Church 'supposedly' starts at 8:30am, though it never really starts until 9am (Filipino Time you know ;p), and so Sylvette and I told everyone to go on ahead, and we and the 2 little host kids would come in a bit. Even with that, we didn't get to church until 9:30am!!! Crazy!
Those 3 gals did a precious song before the sermon 
The church service was really encouraging and impactful, and Jordan preached, focusing on some issues that were trying to be addressed in Tinucoran. (Interestingly, we had just been reading these verses the day before at our 'mini-Bible study.) He spoke from 1 Corinthians:12-26Matthew 18:15-20, and Philippians 3:12-18about how we are all members of the same body of Christ, and that when a fellow believer has fallen into sin, you are supposed to confront him about it, and if he doesn't repent, you are supposed to bring 1-2 other people, and if he still does not repent, then we are to go to the elders of the church and get them involved, and if he still doesn't repent, we are to treat him as an unsaved person. 
Jordan with his Translator-Arlin 
Also, before pulling the mote out of our brother's eye, we need to also make sure the beam is pulled from our own eye. We also need to make sure that we do not become proud, but are ever striving to become like Christ and are walking in His ways, trusting in Him completely. Jordan also shared his personal testimony in how God worked this in his life.
Eve and another Butuan girl singing during Offering
After the service and more singing, we all went around and sang a song while we shook hands and gave hugs.
After church, the church family hosted a luncheon as a way to say "Thank you!" to the Nehemiah Teams and were planning a going away party too, but waited until the rest of everyone got back.
Me and Melyn
It was this gal's birthday today, so we sang 'Happy Birthday'  and 'gave' her the bunch of fake flowers from the vase at the front of the church as a 'present' :)
It is so precious watching the older boys take care of their little siblings...
Melyn and her little family
The kids eating and playing
After lunch, we went back home, and were about to head out to Casiklan, when we received a text saying that the Casiklan team had already done the baptism, so we didn't need to go. So much for the rush to get all packed!! :)
Arlin and the host's little girl
So, we chatted with the pastor, other people who came by, etc.,waiting for the rest of the team to get back, so we could go back to the church for the Going Away Party. Soon before the rest of the team got back, we received a text wondering how soon we were going to be in Casiklan......well, for the next 45 minutes, we were busy trying to get things figured out....lol Turned out that the Casiklan Team had decided to wait for us, but by that time, we wouldn't have made it to there, so they got to do the Baptism by themselves, and we planned on spending another night at Tinucoran, with Bong and Eric joining us within a few hours.
~~ * ~~ * ~~ *** ~~ * ~~ * ~~ 
Originally, Sylvette and I came to Butuan mainly to help out the Casiklan team, but the first day, the Supers had just gotten back from Casiklan, so we went to Tinucoran, with the idea of staying a few days, and then going on to Casiklan. Well, a few days turned into 5 days, with us planning on leaving each day for the last 3 of them.

I never really talked about how much I loved Casiklan, missed the team, and couldn't wait to go back to where I really felt needed, but different people kept telling me how they could see my heart was in Casiklan, and that my eyes lit up every time the name was mentioned, which baffled  me that they saw that, because though that was what was deep down inside of my heart, it wasn't like I was dwelling on it. I took each day as it was came, felt content where God had me, and actually found our constant change of plans quite amusing, because I knew it was God just toying with me, to see how I'd react, and making me rely fully on Him.

I learned later, however, that the Supers were a little worried about me, wondering if I was really disappointed, and feeling bad that here I'd come to work in Casiklan, and I might now be going there at all!! When with each change, knowing that the Filipinos might be worried, I really tried hard to outwardly keep my attitude happy, carefree, and "what-ever-happens-is-good-with-me!!", so when I found out that I wasn't doing a good enough job, I realized that I needed to stop having an "okay-with-everything" attitude, and start having a "hey-I'm-good-with this/don't-worry-about-me!" attitude to settle their worries. So, when I noticed them trying to read my reaction, I started doing little thumbs-up, saying "sounds good to me!", and smiling really big, etc. which helped them.
~~ * ~~ * ~~ *** ~~ * ~~ * ~~
Back to my story: The rest of the Tinucoran team got back, and we headed over to the church. Right before the party started, the Supers had another discussion, and we were told that we needed to leave immediately (evacuate :D), and meet Bong and Eric at the river, and go to the BOOST to spend the night.
Belle, Weng, and a cute gamay bata
Weng and 2 gamay batas!! (gamay bata=little children)
Melyn's beautiful little girl
Melyn
So, we hurriedly said our goodbyes (which were delayed a bit by the Filipinos all wanting to give us hugs, have pictures taken, give gifts, etc., which was SO precious and memorable), and went back to the Host's home, finished packing, and rode off-all 3 of us-Jordan, me and Sylvette, with our big packs...that was fun!!! Jordan is an amazing driver.....
Jordan and Sylvette figuring out plans
Before I left, they gave me a paper-chain necklace and a spray painted corncob...it so sweet!!
While hurriedly finishing packing our bags, God gave me a revelation...In church, we have often talked about Christ returning someday, and that we do not know when He will come and that we always need to be ready. Jesus said:
Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains: Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take anything out of his house: Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.
~ Matthew 24:16-18 ~
But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
~ Matt 24:36-37 ~
Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come. But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up. Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.
~ Matt 24:42-44 ~

In that moment, God gave me a glimpse of what it is going to be like in the last days, though in this situation, it was a much more relaxed and cheerful situation. Of course, I had to laugh, and share this with Jordan and Sylvette, and that started a quick conversation about missionaries in other countries who have experienced the peril as well...oh that we would always remember to pray for them!!!

We met Bong and Eric over the river, where they were playing Basketball with the villagers while they were waiting. We then went to the BOOST, where we did laundry, sorted more coffee beans :), had good fellowship with the Staff there and the Water Filter team and spent the night.

While sorting coffee beans :), I had a really good talk with Judith and Casey about what God is doing in all of our lives, future goals, their getting married in 2 months, and the God-given roles of men and women. Meanwhile, Judith made dinner, which made all the Water Filter team come and ooh and aah over the delectable smells, until she sent them out to eat their own dinner. ;p

I was supposed to eat dinner with the Filipinos at the other house, but they weren't ready until past 6:30pm, and by that time, Casey and Jude were done eating, and all cleaned up. Well, there I was, sorting coffee beans, and they were about to eat dinner, and they just 'happened' to ask me if I would like to join them. ;p (They were having Filipino style Taco Salad). Of course, I acted indifferent, but when they 'insisted', I willingly joined them, and boy!! was that food SOOOO good!!!! :D lol
Casey and Judith in the Lower Staff House
Thing was, I still had 'dinner' to eat, so I only ate 1 serving, to save room for my next meal....it was a pretty funny situation, and was even better when I was told that 'dinner' was served. We all acted normal, but we all had to smile when I walked out the door.....good times!!
The Filipino dinner was delicious too....I could eat that almost any day of the week....

After dinner, Sylvette and I went back to our room, and after getting ready for bed, we had our own little 'Team Time', which lasted for around 2 hours!! It was so good being able to review what had happened in the last week, what God had taught us, our successes and failures, what was going to happen next, and cultural issues...both of us learned a lot about each other's culture, more than I ever would have just being at Mercy. God SO blessed me with Sylvette, and I'm SO grateful to Him!! Boy, am I going to miss her!!
WHAT I LEARNED:
- No matter what, God is in control, and His way is always best
- I am SO grateful to God that He blessed me with 2 amazing Filipino friends (and more) who aren't afraid to guide me in cultural differences and character adjustments...I have learned SO much!!!
- Everything above. :)
- While at the Going Away 'Party' at the church, they showed a little movie about Nick Vujicic, who was born with the extremely rare 'Tetra-Amelia Disorder', which is where he was born without arms or legs. His story is inspirational, how he went from trying to understand why God would make him like he did, to trusting Him for everything, and because of his joyfulness and selflessness, he has brought so many to Christ through his beautiful testimony. It was such a blessing to me to see this....Enjoy!!



Here are today's texts: 
Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger' for the anger of man does not produces the righteousness of God.  ~James 1:19-20


For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. ~ Ephesians 2:10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...