Background

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Midwifery and Missions

I love Ecclesiastes.... It and James are 2 of my favorite Bible books (and the list spirals on from there ;p). For the last year, I've been prayerfully pondering Ecclesiastes 3.

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven...He hath made every thing beautiful in His time: also He hath set the world in their heart, so that man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end....I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it: and God doeth it, that men should fear before Him."
~ Ecclesiastes 3:1, 11, 14 ~

Truly, there is a time for every season under the sun, and this is one of them... Many of you have asked if I'm planning to go back to the Philippines, and there was a time that I hoped to in 2015 for a while--using my midwifery studies as an excuse, but last Fall, God removed the "have-to", and unlike my past trips, hasn't put that pressing burden on my heart.

As most of you know, I never felt God leading me to pursue midwifery in the States as a career--it was only ever a ministry to me--one that I felt specifically called to use in the Philippines, as a way to minister to the women there, and also share God's love and the Hope we have because of the Gospel.

This last year has been a weird transition for me in so many ways....the thought of not returning to the Philippines has been hard, and yet, I truly don't believe that my last trip was 'good bye forever'. However, I do know that God hasn't clearly directed me to go back any time in the near future.

Thus, I'm starting to wrap up those loose strings, and one of them is re-conditioning my blog... For memories' sake (and so I don't forget ;D), I am copying below my midwifery and mission testimony from my old 'About Me' page, laying aside, learning from, and treasuring the past, and looking forward to the future of the vision God has given me to carry out.

Truly, I believe that wherever God has me is my mission field, though I have a much harder time remembering that sometimes in the States). It's so easy to take life for granted--unlike the Philippines, where all I have is God...where it's so easy to share the Gospel, and take the time for each person who crosses your path.. Where life seems more fragile and in some ways, more important.

My lifelong vision and calling is to disciple those God brings into my life, whether for a short time or for longer lengths, and live my life in light of eternity. I am so grateful for all of you who were my prayer warriors while I served in the Philippines.

James 5:16b says:
"The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."

I could feel those prayers working, guiding, and hovering over me, and I am so humbled and grateful for them. I would ask you to again partner with me, as God lays me on your hearts, to pray for me as I endeavor to continue serving God.
Satan is so crafty to try to snare us in any ways we allow idols or lies into our lives--even more so in the century we live in, but by God's grace and wisdom, I want to continue overcoming those traps to be able to live in freedom, purity, and truth before God and man.
My Midwifery Mission Testimony:
Age 4
At my birth (my mother's first home birth), the midwives 'prophesied' over me that I was cut out to be a midwife, as I had long fingers and my water bag 'baptized' them as I was born. At age 6, I informed my mom that I felt God was calling me to be a midwife (wisely she refrained from telling me about my birth story until years after my resolution, so as not to 'bias' me one way or another).


Age 11
At 12, I believe God called me to the mission field as a missionary midwife. It was at that time, my dear friend-Jordan Ruseler and I stumbled upon the Newlife School of Midwifery (MMC) website, which is the largest charity-based (also Christian) midwifery clinic in the Philippines.

In 2011, with our parents' blessing, I and my friend - Jordan went and served God in Southern Philippines. Before going, I had witnessed quite a few (human) births, but after serving in Davao and in the Bukid (mountains) for 3 months, I had the privilege to deliver 10 babies, help with around 40 births, and conduct well over 120 prenatals.


In 2012, I went back for another 4 months to work both at the Mercy Clinic and in the mountains, discipling girls, evangelizing, serving them, doing prenatals, and delivering babies, bringing my count up to 25 deliveries, 80 births assisted, and well over 200 prenatals.

My interests have been to become equipped in the following lines of study: 
Midwifery, EMT, Nutrition, Veterinary, and Doula, so I can better serve those around me, whether here on the homefront or on foreign fields.

I am currently a Nationally Certified EMT and have enjoyed immensely the opportunities that training has brought me, and where it may bring me in the future.


I have also attended the following the courses/workshops:

A 14-hour Bradley Method Course
A 3-day Birth Doula Workshop
6-day Intensive Midwifery Skills Training Course 
I also serve as the "veterinarian assistant" on our 50-acre ranch, with experience helping various kinds of animals (alpacas, horses, goats, sheep, llamas, cats, etc.) deliver dystocia births, suturing, ultrasounding, uterine prolapse, uterine torsion, dissecting, etc.

"Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another; Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord; Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer; Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality."
~ Romans 12:9-13 ~

2 comments:

  1. I am excited to see what God has for the future for you, Sarah! I have so enjoyed following your blog though I willingly admit not a faithful reader for every single post!:P I think though that the Lord often led me to the posts when I had time, at the perfect times. I have been encouraged, challenged, and inspired in my walk with the Lord from your openness and honesty on here. I will continue to pray for you and please know even in the busyness of time that you are in my thoughts and dear to my heart. People need encouragement-we as sisters in the Lord desperately need to be faithful in praying. Our hopes, and desires are similar often and there is so much we can share in fellowship to point each other back to the truth! Keep following the Lord Jesus, Sarah. Stay in the castle waiting, until what is best comes!! I'm sorry that I have been so bad at contact! Love you very much, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, Ashley you are a doll!! I love how though we haven't seen each other in ages, being sisters in Christ opens up a friendship that we might have never known otherwise!!
      I have so enjoyed working and fellowshipping with you over the past years, and grateful for the testimony you have, and your continual striving to serve God.
      I am glad God has been able to encourage you through my writings--all glory to Him! You are also on my thoughts quite often, actually, and I lift you and your family up in my prayers too.
      God bless you Ashley!! He knows your future too!! <3

      Delete

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...