Background

Thursday, March 13, 2014

EU: France For A Day

This afternoon, we went on tour into France to St. Paul de Vence: a medieval fortified village built in the 16th century by the French king Francis I. Built on a naturally defensible spot: a rock outcropping in the Alps maritimes on the Cote d'Azur, the small fortress originally is double-gated (meaning it had a huge gate at the entrance, and another one 50 feet inwards), showing that there were definite threats. That whole area of France is very mountainous, and full of limestone.
Walking into the village, I couldn't help but imagine myself living in the 16th century, and what it must have been like... (Thanks to my experiences in the Philippines and movies, it's a bit easier..)
Don't you just love their roads?!
The main road is called 'Rue Grande', meaning Big Road...vs the sides streets (shown below...)
These are just my size! :)
'Eau Portable' means the water is drinkable.
Pondering jumping in?? ;)
Listening to our excellent guide. 
In France, you can tell who lived in the house at one time by looking at their roof. They displayed their outward wealth by adding decor to the eaves or by having more than one level of tiles (both shown below). The house on the left was owned by the head guy of the village. Legend has it he was so lazy, that he had his staircase built so that his horse could carry him up to the 2nd floor, where his apartments were! Wow....
 Their style is definitely unique here.... Not sure what else to add to that...
A dress made to look as you splashed paint on it...
 We had lunch in the village--talk about scrumptious!!
I found some more interesting facts about Monaco today:
- The country of Monaco only covers 2 square kilometers or 500 acres.
- It is the 2nd smallest State in the world.
- There are 36,000 inhabitants, 7,500 of which are native to Monaco. The rest are compiled of 120 different nationalities!
- The weather in the summer time often is 90% humidity, and up to 90ºF.
My beautiful sister.... (her burns are doing much better now, praise God!)
One of the speakers asked a question, which I appreciated, because it really applies to all of life, not just married couples:
Q: When is the best time to tell your spouse you love and appreciate them?"
A: Before someone else does."

Daniel and I have concluded that that Monaco is one of our favorite places to visit, and I would emphasize (in Europe).
We went shopping again tonight, and as the kids were begging for crepes, we got some and had them with strawberries and whipped cream for dinner.... (Talk about spoiled!!) :) I love having my own little kitchen...

Things I Re-Remembered:
 - I hate yucky strawberries.
 - I love being in the kitchen, especially when I have a routine and ownership.
 - I love being barefoot indoors!
 - I miss my piano.
Looking Forward: Tomorrow, we zip line all day!! I'm really looking forward to adding it to my list of places zip lined.... God is gracious, and we're going to have SO much fun!!!

"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."
~ Isaiah 40:31 ~

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Quite the place! Their roads are exquisite! I've gathered, from reading your posts and seeing all of these great pictures, that you all are most certainly European when it comes to your height! :)
    My dear cousin, how can you not like strawberries!? That's practically a crime! It leaves more for the rest of us who do appreciate such, I guess. ;)
    He, he, as I read this I am working on crepes for dinner! They are a favorite in our family -dinner or dessert! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. European? Well yes, but I think it would depend on which part...France has some awesome height (and looks)....and funny thing is..Mom has some really tall ancestors close up (and it's her side that we got our real shortness from...)
    ME not like STRAWBERRIES?! Preposterous! That would be like saying I didn't like my hair... No, I love strawberries...just not yucky ones. :)
    Mmm...my siblings love crepes... They are a nice breakfast or dessert sometimes!

    ReplyDelete

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...