Background

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

EU: Germany!

So....Tuesday night, we boarded another train bound for Munich, Germany. Since it was an all-nighter, Papa reserved slots in the sleeper car! (Another thing off my check list!) We girls got all settled in, with our extra bunk underneath (as there are 6 to a room--triple decker style!), when this nice Chinese young man knocked and told us that the extra berth was his!

We ended up trading James for him, so that the men could visit...and Papa loved using his Chinese again!! Though he has forgotten much, I guess he still speaks it pretty perfectly (although with an American accent)...
Papa and our bus driver (because it was off season, we actually got a HUGE whole bus to ourselves!) :)
Our train came in an hour late (9am), as we had to take a detour, thus, our time in Germany was a little more limited... We had a little scare coming out of the train terminal, as the bus wasn't there, and Papa's cell phone was dead (with the number on it)... Praise God, through some technical maneuvering, we were able to get it charged enough to call them, and ate breakfast while we waited. (I love eating chicken with my fingers!)
A German village
Once on our way, we drove through Munich, dropped E (pronounced 'Urh) off at his hotel, and saw the former palace, where only 2 people live now, with no descendants... (Reminded me how important, especially in kingdoms, children truly are! And, are we not of God's kingdom?!)

I love Germany! I knew I would...I like it better than Scotland, England or France...and its province  - Bavaria..oh my! It is clean, peaceful, and not too touristy... Yes, I am proud of my German heritage, of which we are quite...
Our first stop enroute to Brunen, Switzerland was Dachau. I am very grateful we had the opportunity to walk through the camp, though it was very sobering and heart-wrenching. You can almost feel it...the reverence there, and knowing the history makes it no less. Approximately 50,000 people died there, and more than 200,000 people were concentrated...
Grave of Thousands Unknown
In some ways, I feel worse for those who worked and served there--the SS and others, who not only participated in the torture and parole, but really didn't have a choice themselves... Imagine it... *shutters...Praise God for His mercy, grace, and justice.
As always, the gas chamber and cremation rooms were of specific but horrible interest to me... to actually see it with my own eyes...yet praise God, not.
Another Grave of Many Thousands Unknown
It is one of those places that I would encourage you to visit, if you have the opportunity--especially as there is people group out there who believe it all really never happened. It did, and Dachau is proof, if nothing else.

We visited the Linderhof Castle (more of a palace), which was built by King Ludovico II of Bavaria in the 1800's. His fascination with the absolutist government of France under Louis XIV is evident with all the different iconography (most of which is best to ignore). This palace fascinated me... King Ludwig was extremely introverted and creative, and this palace shows it. Linderhof Castle was his favorite place to reside, and was attended by 12 servants. It is 2 stories, and is {much} smaller than even just 2 of our house's floors!

We weren't allowed to take photos upstairs, but we got a couple shown below beforehand, and thanks to Google, a few of the upstairs are described....
(In the Spring...)
Looking from the castle towards the garden
Look at those gates!
Bottom floor...
The top floor has {only} 2 doorways to access the rooms at the top of the regal stairs, and consisted of 6 rooms with 'waiting rooms' in between for his servants to wait. He didn't receive guests there. The rooms included a music room and art room, his 'mirrored study', gigantic bedroom, dining area, and throne room.
His study, with mirrors on all the walls, making the room like it goes on and on...
His incredible bedroom--(google for more pictures)... That's a HUGE bed...and look at the blue!!
What really intrigued me was that in his throne room, he had this pulley system in the fireplace so that his servants could put food in it from the rooms below, without him ever seeing them. Also, in his dining room, it was just one seat, and the table was also a pulley system, so that they could lower the entire table, and the floor would cover it while they put the food on and returned the table covered in food above!! Thus also, so that he didn't have to see them...
His dining room (notice the table in the center, and the cracks at the carpet below?)
For being so introverted, he sure loved color!! Each of the 3 waiting rooms are different colors, with silk-lined walls, and the porcelain chandeliers were super colorful!

We stopped in the precious little town of Oberammergau (Bavaria) --known for their incredible woodwork-- for lunch, and not only was their food delicious, they make the best apple struedel with custard sauce!! (I need to make that sometime...) It also reminded my sisters and I how much we have always loved Bavarian dresses (though Rachel would contest that the English peasant dresses are better...)...we shall see what we can do about that...
This photo caught my eye...so I am posting it...just different. :)
We then stopped by another one of King Ludwig's castles - the Neuschwanstein Castle, which unwittingly, many of you have probably seen!! Remember the incredible castle in Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang? Yep...that's it!! Unfortunately, we arrived too late to tour inside, but the 20+ minute walk up the mountain was totally worth the fantastic view and photos we got at the top!! Wow, is that a gorgeous drop!!
The view looking down below the castle (this is very zoomed in, as it is thousands of feet below. :D)
A smaller castle down the mountain and across the street.
After Neuschwanstein, it was a rush to get to Brunen, as our driver had a set time he had to get off work... However, there was enough time to actually step foot in Brekenz, Austria when we crossed the border!! (We drove through Austria in the dark for a couple hours)....AND, we even got to see the lights (and palace) of Lichtenstein as we drove by the Western length of it for miles... SO, by the end of this trip, we will have been in 9 European countries, and seen 10!! Wow!!
Officially was in Austria! (be it morning or evening)
And...just for kicks -- A is for Austria
We arrived in Brunen, just before 10pm, and were able to scarf some delicious Spaghettini down before going to bed...

Interesting Points:
- I saw a UPS truck in Munich!
- It is easier for me to remember to speak German than French (probably my father's influence--even though I learned some french as a girl from our french music teacher...)
- Because of the Allies, we didn't have to go through customs entering any countries after France.
Beautiful countryside!
- It was so fun to see snow again! I love the seasons!!

"All my bones shall say, LORD, who is like unto Thee, which deliverest the poor from him that is too strong for him, yea, the poor and the needy from him that spoileth him?
Stir up Thyself, and awake to my judgment, even unto my cause, my God and my Lord. Judge me, O LORD my God, according to Thy righteousness; and let them not rejoice over me."
~ Psalms 35:10, 23-24 ~

4 comments:

  1. I love learning things about you, like eating chicken with your fingers. :)
    That's quite the introverts castle! The whole pulley system is quite impressive! All the color and activity is rather surprising for someone so...secluded. :)
    Cute picture of you!
    The Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang castle, seriously!? Cool!
    Austria, VERY cool! Like the A. :)
    My best friend and her family are an All-American German (her grandparents migrated here) family. For as long as I can remember they have been learning German from their Oma so I've picked some up here and there. It's kind of catchy. :)
    Gute Nacht from the US! Sich erfreuen der Rest von Ihren Reisen! :) Segen! :)
    (I think it's properly done. I did not do all of that off the top of my head. It was worth a shot. :P)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God gave us fingers. We should use them.

      Love the German--we always say 'Guten Nacht'... German is an awesome language.

      Delete
  2. I'm reading a WWII book series (The Zion Covenant) right now, so it was really neat to read this post and see the pictures, especially of Dachau.
    I LOVE that picture of you! You're so beautiful:)
    Baron Bomburst's castle!! How cool is that?! :D It's so lovely...goodness, I'm loving these pictures so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if I've read those...what is the name?
      Thanks...It's all Jesus.
      Baron and Baroness Bomburst (;P) remember? Oh my....

      Delete

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...