Background

Monday, March 10, 2014

EU: Travel to Monaco

Travel to Monaco was pretty uneventful. We got smart last night, and ordered enough pizza for today's breakfast on the run as well (which was a very good thing, because we didn't eat again until evening).
So...we're eating the pizzas, and an (American?) lady comes up to us and says:
Her: (in best Italian) "Dove' da Pizza?"
Me: (after studying her for a second) "We bought it last night."
Her: (big disappointed hand motions) "Ugghhhhh!!!" (and then straightening up, in perfect English) "Thank you."
Since when did they start putting Santa and Santa Baby on a water bottle?!
Apparently, even the Americans think we're Italian!! (No wonder, since everyone thinks mom is...) Actually, I think I have an answer for that... Mom is very Irish, and with her very dark hair (We don't have red-heads in our family), our best guess is that she is Black Irish (vs. Red Irish or Green Irish--which is what Leprechauns are ;P), AND, supposedly all Black Irish came from Italy and intermarried way-back-when! Make sense, right?
So, I we could add Italian to our long list of 'Mutt Genealogy". =D
PS. Cold pizza rules the pizza kingdom. Hands-down, no question.
Best way to sleep on the train (if there's an empty seat next to you...)
The pros to being fun-sized!! =D
About Monaco.... we're all kind of pictured out (thus not many photos today)..however, I think we be a-likin' it.. Monaco has a LOT of French influence, thus French architecture and the French language... (Oui!)

The hard part about traveling to so many countries in such a short time is that it can be a challenge switching from language to language... For instance, "Merci" in France, than "Danke" in Germany and Switzerland, than "Gratzi" in Italy, and back to "Merci" again! Ach..... Can we just say "Salamat" (Filipino), and be happy?! ;P (Truly, my tongue is reverting back to Filipino instead of English, and now some Spanish is getting in the way too...) C.O.N.F.U.S.I.N.G.!
Truly, it happens here!
The prices here are extraordinary. For that alone, I doubt I shall ever return. For instance, at the hotel, a little bottle of Tic Tacs cost 4 Euro (equivalent to $7 US)!!! A 'nice' restaurant here with "good pricing" is about $80 US a plate. (That's why we ate at the quaint Asiatique Cafe last night ;P) I have a feeling we shall eat there often.. :)
Those heels are exquisite!! Look at the embroidery/bead work (AND the color!)!!
However, their heel is to die for. Literally, I'd die if I wore them. ;)
However, the prices make sense when you know that Monaco has the most expensive real estate in the world!!! Each square meter costs $47,000 US (according to this) - so no wonder the snacks in our hotel room cost so much! They're just trying to make up some money! ;P

(Can you tell I hate spending/wasting money?)...Give me the Philippines--prices are much more economical over there. However, truly, I really am enjoying this experience. We really do like Monaco.
I'm so grateful for all my precious, inspiring, God-glorifying friends back home! Especially those special few who encourage me in all aspects/areas of my life.. You know who you are! :)
So, although I haven't met any French Truckers on this trip, I have concluded that the 3 Monacoan dudes were jerks last night, as was the Italian guy on the train...

Looking Forward: Not sure what all we're doing, but tomorrow we're swimming!!! Wednesday, I'm guessing we'll go see Old Monaco--the Castle, etc., Thursday, we are going to a Medieval village.. And Sunday we shall be home!!

"For Thou art my Hope, O Lord GOD: Thou art my Trust from my youth.  By Thee have I been holden up from the womb: Thou art He that took me out of my mother's bowels: my praise shall be continually of Thee.
I am as a wonder unto many; but Thou art my Strong Refuge. Let my mouth be filled with Thy praise and with Thy honour all the day."
~ Psalms 71:5-8 ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...