Background

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

EU: Monaco: Days 1-2

The one thing I really love about being part of a large family is traveling in places that aren't used to big families... The faces are priceless. I fondly remember when we were younger, how we always matched--even if it wasn't the same fabric, it was always the same color....and with only 13 years between Daniel and James, it was a LOT of fun!! Almost all of us were thought to be twins at one time or another...
Mr. Bread (thanks to James for his creativity and photography.)
Had to share this toilet from yesterday--the seat literally turns around, while this washer thing comes out, sprays it down, and drys it simultaneously while it's turning!! Wow! The Europeans have it right on this thing!!
This time, with the age range bumped up to almost 23 on down, it's a little different. However, everyone is in charge of their own luggage now...imagine yesterday afternoon 11 European-looking humans traipsing the streets of Monaco with their luggage behind them?! It was wonderful.... =D
My hair - without conditioner after getting out of the pool... (It actually looks more wild in real time...)
I wonder if I could ever compete with the little girl in UP?? (Probably not quite...)
We ended up swimming today instead of yesterday, choosing to tour Monaco instead, which ended with walking through the Museum Oceanigraphique (which is full of all sorts of waterlife), and walking the watery border of Monaco home (about 1/2 hour long).

Some shark....
A puffer fish (I wonder what would happen if I poked a pin in it??)
What colors!!
*Sniff....it's Nemo's daddy and mommy!! Doesn't this bring back memories!?! 
What if This or That was your life? Guess you wouldn't have to be teased about not having a backbone!! :)
Seahorses have always fascinated me since I was a little girl. (I even have a stuffed one!) I think this was my favorite display...
This reminds me of the muppets hair...except they look more electrified back scratchers... ;)
I'm not sure what this is...but it's odd, whatever it is....
With prices so exorbitant, us kids are staying in a different hotel--about a 5 minute walk from the sponsoring hotel that the conference is at. Last night, we kids found out that we are actually staying in 2 different countries!! Our hotel is literally on the French border, where as Mama and Papa's hotel is in Monaco!
Does that mean that we sneak across the border every time we want to see them? And does that also mean that we crossed the border to swim in their huge pool this afternoon? Hmm... I think I like the sound of that! ;)
Love the contrast on this photo.... (Thanks to my brother's photography..)
The main hotel we were at is the big 3 building thing at the far end left of this photo...
 A few photos of Old Monaco:

Now this would be fun to have! Look at all those unguarded cannon balls!!!

Okay...he totally reminds me of Grandpa Potts standing in front of Grandpa's hut!!
It's a posh life, you know! ;)
I wonder if I could get into Narnia by going through the frame??
Cities truly do have their own beauty....I'm just not sure what it is.. ;)

The nice thing about being on the outskirts, is that we have a grocery store right next to us, and a kitchen in our room!! Thus, we've been able to eat regular meals again.. And, I've been getting my eggs and veggies for breakfast again... It's been awesome! =)
This rang a bell with me... =D
I discovered something this morning....many of my siblings don't know how to operate a microwave (not really a bad thing...I still have issues with remembering sometimes...) =) Guess that must be a sign of healthy eating?? ;)

Interesting Facts:
 - There is a huge, long tunnel in Monaco, carved through the rock, with multiple lanes and caverns for vehicles to pass through. It was fun riding through one, though it was a little shocking to have water drops dropping onto us as we traveled through! :)
 - Monaco is a Principality, thus it doesn't have Kings and Queens: only Princes and Princesses, just as Luxembourg is a Grand Duchy, with the Highest Regnant being a Grand Duke or Duchess. They are in a sense, 'island tributaries' to larger, lost empires which have gone Republican.
 - Before 1847, the main income of Monaco was through its citrus and lemon exports. The roads entering the country were bad, and there was nothing specifically impressive about it. However, through economical decline, the new monarch decided to institute change, and made it a gambling center!!
 - Interestingly, the local inhabitants were prohibited from gambling, and most all taxes were dropped.. In other words, basically, those coming from other countries were paying the 'tax' by gambling!!
 - In 1866, the town was officially named 'Monte Carlo' (meaning Mountain Charles), after Prince Charles who changed the economy around.

So...I just have to share a couple stories my not-so-little brother told us, as shared by one of the speakers today (about his daughter)....
Before a wedding, the flower girl was waiting in the lobby, and asked her daddy, who was supposed to tell her when to start walking down the aisle what the sign with a bunch of people's names on it was about. The pastor, who walking by right then said: "That's a memorial for all of the people who died in the service."
The little girl asked, "Which service? The 9 o'clock or the 11 o'clock?" =)

The daddy goes to put his little girl in bed one night, and as he's about to leave the room she asks, "What are bed bugs, daddy?" He commentaried, 'Right then, I could have lied, and both of us could have gotten sleep...instead:' he sat next to her on the bed and said, "Bed bugs are little bugs that come out at night and bite you." Bad Idea!!! =D

Looking Forward: Tomorrow, we are going into a French Medieval village...it should be great!!
I am so grateful for God's faithfulness, and for the knowledge that we can entrust all our prayer requests, hurts, questions, and emotions to Him, and that He can restore us to joy as we  choose to submit to Him and allow His grace and peace to wash over us. Prayer is an amazing thing...

It continues to amaze me how very much He loves and delights in His children!! I am God's child!!! I am so unworthy of His love, and yet He, in His Sovereign grace and mercy extends Himself over and over and over again! Thank you Jesus!!
"Thou art My servant; I have chosen thee, and will not cast thee away. Fear thee not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yeah, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of My Righteousness."
~ Isaiah 41:9b-10 ~

"Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest."
~ Joshua 1:9 ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...