Background

Saturday, March 8, 2014

EU: Travel to Venice!

Today was another travel day....this time, to Venice!! It started early: 5:30am for me. The first train to Brig left around 8am.
At the Brig Station
One thing we don't really appreciate about train stations is the cigarette smoke. However, it is a good reminder of how many germs we breathe in that others have breathed out.... :)

At Brig, we were in for some big memory makers... We had a 30+ minute layover, and after our previous rushers of 8 and 11 minutes, that was a breeze. So, we got to the Sector it was supposed to be at - Gate 6, and got on the train. We had just settled into our seats after getting our luggage put away, when over the intercom comes the message: "If you are going to Venezia, get off the train."
What if this was what our world was like? Perception is huge...
No wonder some islands disappear without a trace! ;P
So, after checking, we did. The real train was running 30 minutes late, and would be at Sector 7: just to our left. No problem. And, they had changed the sign accordingly. 10 minutes later, the sign goes blank. Okay, weird, but whatever.

So, 1/2 hour later, the train comes in at Gate 7. The passengers get off, and as we are about to board, the attendant says "No, this is not the train!"....and the train just stays there-inactive. Okay..weird. We check again--yes, it is at Gate 7, but has been delayed even longer.
Remember these days? Yep....my brothers and I did that too....
Meanwhile, the sign on Gate 6 shows passage to Venezia...and a Bullet train comes in--what looks like we should be on (as it was a 5 hour trip).  The passengers get off, and we ask if it is going to Venezia. "No", the conductor says. "Yes", the conductor says. And, meanwhile, the signs keep switching back and forth too!! Talk about a confused crowd!!!

Praise God, we finally got on--however, the cars weren't clearly marked, and we accidentally got on Car 1 (1st class), instead of Car 7! Talk about a long way to walk through the cars, as there wasn't enough time to assuredly get from Car 1 to 7 outside without the doors closing... Praise God, it worked out.
We passed through Milan, and saw much Italian countryside. I like Italy. It is all of its own, not comparable to England or France, and just like  I imagined it. It's Italy and lovely in its own right.
The ocean!!!
Through the various countries we have been in, we have had lots of chances to speak  the basic politenesses in their language, but coming to Italy, I realized that besides 'Ciao' and 'Gratzi', the most I really knew of Italian was their love songs (learned as a young girl during voice lessons...), and singing them here would be a little awkward, because I've lost the accent... :P

There were these two absolutely adorable little boys on the last train...a 3 year old with the cutest blond curly hair who mimicked every hand motion (i.e.wave goodbye) I did, including with both hands.. And, a 4 year old little black boy (with the most gorgeous mom ever!), who sat across the aisle from me, who was fascinated with me--until I caught his glance. :)
Lighting is key...I look almost natural here!
Photo editing is serious business.
I had read and journaled for hours, and so for a break, I took people shots--over and over, for like 15 minures....
My siblings called me crazy...but hey, my camera, my card, my fun, right?! ;P Who cares if I delete 97 of the 100 photos!
I love watching people...especially those from other cultures. A Ukrainian man sat across the aisle, and it was fun watching interactions and culture...amazing how many folks I meet from other countries here!

Upon arrival in Venice, we took the boat down the canals (for it is a walking-only city) to where our hotel is...and after much adventures in the maze of Venice (and a maze it is!), we finally found our hotel and got settled.
There was a political rally going on in the center square next to the train station. I guess it was about Muslims...
There were police officers lining both sides, and all in front as well.
Boy, were the sides loud! It was semi-peaceable at that point though..
Ate at a delightful Italian restaurant (we LOVE Italian in our family! The vinegar/oil sop has always been my favorite), and had gelato on our walk back for dessert... I'm not sure anything compares to legit gelato...
Our hotel is just next to St. Mark's Square...and wow, is it gorgeous, even with much of it currently under heavy construction right now....

A Few Venetian Facts:
 - An average of 50,000 tourists per day visit Venice (think about the 11 people we jipped! ;P)
 - Only about 60,000 Venetians live in IN Venice..most live on the mainland.
 - Venice has 118 islands and more than 150 canals and 400 bridges.
 - Venice's buildings were all constructed over spongy marshland ground, and countless wooden pilings were driven centuries ago into the terrain for support.
 - The Acqua Alta (high water) tides can rise up to 6 feet, flooding the low-lying areas, including St. Mark's Square. The worst Acqua Altas occur between November and March.
 - Partially due to these tides, Venice is gradually sinking, so a colossal dam system is currently being built to block the tides. (Smart move...otherwise, it might end up like that Piano in Miami...)
 - Marco Polo and Antonio Vivaldi are Venetian.
 - Hotel and dining prices are among the highest in Italy, yet their restaurant food and service quality tend to be the most disappointing in Italy, due to the fact that since most diners are (one time) tourists, they don't see pleasing them as a priority.

Reminds me of that piano on the miami beach everyone was going crazy over a few years back...imagine a whole city being swept away!!
A little bit of Venetian architecture
Things I've Noticed:
- This is the first hotel since England that Rachel and I actually shared the same bed--all others were singles next to each other, as if they were a king, but with separate blankets! Quite odd, but very nice. I guess it is the thing in Europe....
- In each of our bathrooms, there is this nifty towel heater. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but it doesn't sound like boiling water... Anyway, I think we should construct these in America! They are great not only for warming your towels up while you shower, but ALSO for drying your towels out, so they don't get mildewy!
Note, those are hand towels, for size reference.
- This is the first bathroom in a while, where the light switches are on the inside of the bathroom, versus outside. (Imagine all the pranks you can play with those! Nope, I don't like it. =)
- Dinner isn't served here in Venice until 7pm. Period. Sure, you can sit down at 6:45, but dinner won't be served until 7! (Makes life complicated for those of us who like to eat at 5pm.)

A Few Thoughts I Forgot to Post Yesterday:
 - They are selling Idaho potatoes in the Zermatt McDonalds, and their prices for a hamburger are the most outrageous I've ever seen! (12 dollars?!)
 - Mary Lynn, I ran a run in Zermatt for you...it was awesome, as was the view. :)
 - The hardest part of skiing for me, is getting my gloves unclipped--I know, stupid. However, after much practice, I am actually often able to get them unclipped on the first (or second) try. Finally!
If only it were this easy, right? :)
Regarding our sunburns, Rebekah's is definitely the worst of all of us--as if she is "wearing plaster". I wish I had realized it was as bad as it was that first night and treated it accordingly, because unlike my 2nd degrees which are slowly healing, her face is still very painful and swollen... Praise God for the lavender, MelaGel, and coconut oil we do have with us...
NOTE: It is a really weird feeling to be unable to feel your cheeks and upper lip...
Pictures distort things... It looks worse in real life
Looking Forward: We are in Venice all day tomorrow, and head out for Monaco Monday morning for the remainder of our stay in Europe.

"When I consider Thy heavens, the work of Thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which Thou hast ordained; What is man, that Thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that Thou visitest him?
For Thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour. Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of Thy hands; Thou hast put all things under his feet: All sheep and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field; The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatsoever passeth t through the paths of the seas.
O LORD our Lord, how excellent is Thy name in all the earth!"
~ Psalms 8:3-9 ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...