Background

Friday, March 7, 2014

EU: Skiing Zermatt

We skied Zermatt today. I can't tell you how spoiled I am....this was the trip of the lifetime--this whole trip to Europe...and to ski next to the Matterhorn?! Wow.... I am so blessed!!
There is nothing like skiing up there...these mountains are INCREDIBLE (and unfortunately, the photos we took don't show it all)!!! We all skied together in the morning, before breaking up in the afternoon, where Papa and the 4 oldest (excluding me) went to the Italian facing side and skied blacks... Meanwhile, I skied with the 4 youngest on the Blues and Reds (US Greens and Blues), and checked in with Mama at the lodge.
All layered up, and no, I'm NOT a china doll. :)
Skiing on the other side of the mountain...
I really haven't done much skiing for 2 years, since I only skied once last year (having gotten back from the Philippines late in the ski season), and today makes 2 this year. I'm so glad I got to practice up a bit a couple weeks ago, as it's been a while!!
Kiekah and I (The Matterhorn is a perfect backdrop..)
I re-learned why I loved moguls today....they just give enough excitement to make it challenging at times.. The conditions were almost perfect--we could see the Matterhorn (which is very few and far between normally), and it was in the 30's, after having been much colder. They also got snow last week, which was helpful, though there was a good bit of ice with less powder, which made the moguls more interesting. :)
My not-so-little sisters and I
I saw the moon today for the first time in being in Europe... As it always has, it reminds me of home, and it was a good reminder that we truly are just a-passing through this world on our way home!!
Looking at God's creation reminds me of one of my favorite hymns -- Be Thou My Vision.

Most of us got burns--some of us worse than others. I haven't seen the results yet, but in our room, Rebekah and I are the worst off, with 'beautiful' 2nd degree raccoon sunburns. I'm a little surprised, as my hat covered my forehead, and I wore my scarf most of the day...however, I guess we were 8500+ feet up!

Looking Forward: We are traveling all day to Venice, Italy tomorrow, where we will be for 2 nights before heading to Monaco.

"Ye shall have a song, as in the night when a hold solemnity is kept; and gladness of heart, as when one goeth with a pipe to come into the mountain of the LORD, to the mighty One of Israel."
~ Israel 30:29 ~

4 comments:

  1. Craziness! Looks neat though. Hope the burns aren't too bad!
    Italy!!!!!!!!! ::sigh:: Enjoy it for me! Still hoping to visit someday! I'll be looking forward to your review on it. :) You must say Ciao to it for me! And take lots of pictures!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elsie, I'm enjoying Italy for you...we've only been here a few hours, and I love it for Italy already...
      I said Ciao for you...and pictures are in the process. :)

      The burns...you'll see pictures.. (though they look a lot worse in real life). I followed my routine for my burns and though it's definitely 2nd degree in parts, it is not as bad as it could have been. Rebekah's is really bad--all swollen up "like plaster", and blistered... Prayers for her would be appreciated.. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! Sun burns... Who knew??? The closest I've ever been to the Matterhorn is at Disneyland... Awesome scenery... I need to ski more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid Disneyland doesn't compare to the Matterhorn in a.n.y. way. It's too warm. ;)
      Yes, you should!

      Delete

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...