Background

Monday, June 13, 2011

Day 17: Happy Birthday Jordan!!!

Jordan turned 20 today!!! We were supposed to work Clinic/Swing Shift together, but Kamerie (who was scheduled to do Night Shift) was really tired, & Jordan volunteered to switch shifts!!! (So thoughtful!!)

Anyhow, that left me to do Clinic alone (while Jordan slept ;D). This was my first Monday clinic, which is different then all the other clinics held in the week, as Mondays are the only day that MMC brings in new clientele. My job was pretty normal-doing prenatal checks after the Midwives had interviewed the ladies. I also helped get the new folders ready. 
In all, I did 8 Prenatals, as Primary under Supervision, out of a total of over 70+ women. It was neat too, as all moms get Tetanus Toxoid shots, & I was able to give it to my Prenatals!!

I got off work at 12:15pm, & realized that though we had a cake (thanks Steph & Julie!!) for Jordan, we had no candles!!!! Oops!! Thankfully, Jordan was busy Skyping, so Steph & I snuck off to Victoria Mall for 20 minutes to pick up the candles, & some last minute goodies (i.e. Ice Cream-most importantly ;D).
Leading the Blind out of the Dungeon.
Cake Decorators!! (Steph & Terry)
Happy 20th Birthday Jordan!!!

Soon after, we headed over for Swing Shift. 2 Labors were endorsed, but they were early on, & since there was nothing to do.......we slept. :)  I woke up-drenched in sweat (been a while!!), & lo & behold, another laborer walked in!!! She was only 4 cm dilated/60% effaced, & so she walked around for the next few hours. I was able to Chart her labor, which as always is fun. I also took vitals. Unfortunately, we ended up transporting her, as the baby's FHT (heart tones) were between 115-125, which too low for a mommy at only 4 cm dilated!! :( 

We were just about to transport her, when another gal came in, in early labor. While conducting the IE, we found she had genital warts (an STD), which can hurt the baby, so we transported them as well. This time, I was able to go into the ER/OB, which was really neat. Unlike America, the nurses here wear the little nurse caps & uniforms (wish I could have taken a picture!!).

After I got back to the clinic (at 8:30pm), I took over charting for the birth Jordan was assisting in, so she could have both of her hands free to assist. This gal's labor was really long (she was an endorsement at 2pm), poor girl!! By 10 pm, she was making good progress, & so all of us on her birth decided to wait the birth out. Finally, at 10:55 pm, she gave birth to a beautiful little girl, after enduring an episiotomy & an approximate 36 hr. labor!! The baby had a Club Foot (not sure what they'll do to fix that), but other than that, she was doing really good. Jordan & I stayed until 11:30pm, when all the basics of Post Partum were taken care of.



Me with the mom & baby I charted for.
The other gal in labor, was endorsed to the Night Shift team at 10 pm, as well as another gal that came in around 9 pm (who was in early labor--the kind we usually send home, but since she lives very far away, they let her stay) & poor NS team!!! Soon after, another gal in labor came in, & almost simultaneously, all 3 started vomiting!!!
One last note: At the beginning of the afternoon, I was asked where I was at in my births, & all I could remember, was that I was close to assisting (like maybe 2--I thought????). Ends up, I was up to my first Assist, so if there had been another birth, or my girl (who was transported) had stayed,  I could have assisted!!!
I have Night Shift tomorrow....I guess we'll see!!!

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post. Enjoy the detail and tidbits! Thanks for making Jord's birthday special, even going the "extra mile" to get candles :-)

    It somewhat sounds like you enjoy the opportunity to give shots... I hope that I don't need any when you return :-)

    Would be interested to learn what they will do for the club foot.

    We continue to praise our God for this wonderful opportunity for you.

    Mrs. R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, If you happen to need a shot, I'm sure Jordan would just LOVE to give it to you!!! (BUT, if she's not available, or otherwise ;-), I'm just a phonecall away!! ;)

    I asked about Club Foot at Night Shift, & found out that MMC refers the patient to the hospital or some specialty for it. So, I'm not sure what the hospital does, but it doesn't resolve by itself, so for those who don't go (usually re: finances or live to far/have other kids), then poor child!!

    Love you all!!!

    ReplyDelete

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...