Background

Thursday, October 11, 2012

IV's Iv's IV's!!

Wow!! It's been a while!! Quite a bit has happened.....
First of all: I have worked. Really? Yeah. Obviously, that is why I'm here!
This last week, I've worked about 12-13 hours most days, and this next week I'll be working a couple 16+ hour days.

Anyway, 10/6 Swing was slow, and so Karen and I decided to practice IV's on each other (it's been 2 years since my training). Unfortunately for her, I guess I was extremely dehydrated...because, though my metacarpal vein (hand) received the cannula just fine, when she tried my cephalic vein (radial/wrist), both times, my skin buckled impenetrably... So....after more than one lecture (meaning no more needed ;p), I started making it a practice to remember to drink water. ;)
Thankfully, she was hydrated, and I was able to stick her just fine.
Karen about to stick me.
Only God knows that I would need that extra practice, because 10/7 Swing, I was first up to handle, and my G1P0 patient (poor dear!) ended up needing transported after 8 hours of labor care and emotional support, due to fetal tachycardia, as well as her labor had continued too long for protocol here. We did everything we could for her, to give her a fighting chance--gave O2 and a D5W IV.

My Super wanted me to do it, and I was pretty hesitant...unfortunately (fortunately? ;p) she was my super the night before, and knew I could do IV's...that was the best decision ever!! I got it in without any problems using the metacarpal vein.
Here was the frustrating thing--she had consistently been dilating, and right before transport, she was 8-9 cm dilated. She was full of fear, and had had hypertension earlier in labor due to that, but when we got her calmed down completely, she was fine.

Anyway, I transported her to the hospital, and upon hearing from a nurse that we had transported due to fetal tachy, instead of listening to our endorsement, the doctor had her climb onto the exam bed and into the stirrups--without explaining anything to my patient, she proceeded to strip her from the waist down, do an IE, and pour a quart of liquid over that area afterwards. Meanwhile, my patient was scared, asking questions, and getting no answers. Thankfully, I was right there, and tried to walk her through it all...
No surprise, she was hypertensive again, and 'wonder of wonders', she was only 6cm instead of the 8-9cm 20 minutes before!! She begged for me to stay with her, since her bana (they were actually married!) and mom weren't allowed in, and I stayed as long as I could (about 10+minutes), until she was settled in, and I had explained everything in detail of what had happened and what they were doing, and tried to comfort her and allay all fears...but with this type of record and, I'm pretty sure she was on track for a C-Section...
That was SO frustrating!!!! Anyway, in a way I can understand it from the Dra.'s perspective, and it proved to be a good reminder to me about how important communication is.

Swing 10/8, Karissa came early to practice IV's on me--so within 48 hours, I got 5 sticks on the same arm in the same 4" diameter. ;p Praise God, I was much more  hydrated, and she got it in!!
Karissa sticking me (while I'm helping instruct how to do it! ;p)
Gotta go to shift....I'm on Night...I'll try to post more tomorrow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...