Background

Thursday, October 25, 2012

6th/16th Catch!

10/18 Night Shift. I learned a lot with this birth....

My patient 31yo, G3P2 came in at 9:20pm reporting Bow Rup. and medium strong contractions..however her IE at 9:50pm, showed only 2cm and 30% effacement. We encouraged her to do labor stim, and everything seemed pretty normal. At 12:55am, she was wanting to push, but I encouraged her to rest, because of her dilation.
With my assistant-Larissa
I checked her again at 1:15am, because she sounded active...and found 5cm head visible!!! Baby GIRL was out at 1:20am, after low heart tones (fixed by doing head stim) and had APGAR Scores of 7 of 8.

Interesting....her EBL was 1050cc, 500cc of which were trapped inside the placental membranes! She was the first patient of mine that need suturing...only a small 1st degree... We inserted a Normal Saline IV in her cephalic vein, to counteract the blood loss, and incorporated a 2nd Pitocin in it, after she kept  bleeding bits through the postpartum checks.
I got to help Foley-catheterize her, which was a new experience...another first, and though I didn't suture, I could have...but...I guess I am still shy about suturing anything other than animals and normal skin.
They named her Dennielle Chloe, and she weighed 6lbs 6 oz. and was 21" long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...