Background

Thursday, October 11, 2012

4th Catch!

10/10/12: I worked a Clinic/Shift today..and it is fast becoming a tradition for at least a few of us to go to Boodels afterwards (which is only a few minutes' walk away) to get lunch (for a measly $1.95--delicious chicken, rice, and chicken ginger broth)... Delicious!!!
Eileen, Me, Violet, Rebecca, and Eva (clockwise L to R)
Swing Shift went well. My patient-Olinia was a Badjao patient (G5P4)..early 20's, I'd say. Badjaos are completely different than the average Filipinos we work with here. They are pretty much ignored by the government, and have a different language than Visayan.  Badjaos are the people you usually see begging on the streets as well, and are the most impoverished here. They also disregard time, so no one knows how old they are. (Though it is funny, because once in the birth room, they always want to know how soon the baby will be born ;))
My namesake and I...maybe she doesn't like her name??
Anyway, my patient came in with previous SROM around 7:30pm, and upon examination, I found she was already fully dilated, but the head was very ballotable (meaning that I could move it back in forth in the uterus with now problem--even at +2/+3 station!) so she became 8cm when the baby moved back. Badjao patients tend to deliver very fast and their labors are treated completely different than other labors here. Also, we are much more lax with them..in almost every way.
Awwww!!!!
The hard part now was waiting...because the head was so ballotable, who knew when the baby would be born...it depended upon her body and the baby, I guess. ;) At 8:51, she pushed, and head was visible...but no progress..... Then at 9:03pm, she had a 2nd gush of BOW. At 9:29pm, she was now 1cm head visible with pushing, and I was starting to worry that the baby wasn't going to be born on my shift, since endorsements start at 9:45pm...
Now, that's better...happy at last. ;p (I must have been tired?)
However, praise God, I had just voiced this to my assistant-Larissa, when progress was made, and a beautiful BABY GIRL! was born at 9:33pm with no tear. APGAR Scores were 9 and 9. EBL was only 250cc (with 2 Pits. given). The Cord was so interesting...it was almost rope-like. Olinia asked my supervisor to name the baby, and since the rest of her kids' names started with "S", she decided to name her "Sarah"!! :) That was a nice surprise!!

Sarah weighed 6lbs 3oz and was 20.75" long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...