Background

Thursday, October 25, 2012

8/18th Catch!

10/23 Swing Shift. I learned so much at this birth...another pus-pus kaayo daghang (very, very, much fast kaayo) birth...

My patient was Lani "Perfect" (the meaning of her last name) :). And perfectly sweet, she was! Experienced too...33yo and G4P3 with her youngest being 9yo.

Lani and I have a history together, which started last month, when I was endorsed her on Swing Shift on 9/25, when she was supposedly 41 6/7 (meaning if she didn't have her baby that night, she'd be 'post'term', and we wouldn't be able to deliver the baby). Her ctx were very spaced out, so I helped 2 doses of Castor Oil with OJ. She did labor stim constantly, but after an IE was done, showing a funneled cervix and only 1-2 cm, we sent her home with instructions to come back at 9am so we could transport her to the hospital for further evaluation if she hadn't already given birth.
She came back the next morning, and was transported.

So, imagine my surprise, when I see her walking into prenatals this morning (in early labor-2cm)! (I couldn't exactly place her, but knew I knew her). Then, when she came back later in labor, we both had to laugh...since we knew each other from the past. I guess, she had an ultrasound, showing her dates were off (which we knew something was off already, because her FH was off every time the past few prenatals)....

Anyway, when she came back on Swing shift at 2:59pm, she was 4cm, and had borderline hypertension, so we took necessary treatments and monitored it. At 3:50, she felt the need to push, and then all of a sudden, baby was out at 3:54pm... I called out for Ate´Erms to come pus-pus, and baby BOY! was out before you could blink almost--with tons of thick mec. stain.... Afterwards, we joked who was the assistant...because I was pretty much everything, and everything from the time she felt she needed to push until after baby was out was charted---after baby was out. ;)
Surprisingly (for the thick mec stain), baby only needed Bulb-syringed and had APGAR Scores of 9 and 9 (the last 9, I almost gave a 10, but had to find something off, because he couldn't be perfect...)
There was no tear, only a skin split, praise God!, and EBL was 250 cc. The placenta was greenish colored, from the thick mec stain...really--different.

The baby was transported shortly after birth (after a good nursing and the newborn exam--6lb 15oz, and 19" long), due to the thick mec stain, and tachypnea (fast respirations). Last I heard (today), he is still in the hospital...and I'm not exactly sure why...hopefully not sepsis!

It's kind of a miracle that I got to deliver this baby, because I was NOT first up...however, the girl who was first up was in class, and so I was first up until she got back---bb was born before she even got out of class. Though I feel sorry for her, because she really wanted to deliver one on shift (which didn't happen), I am so grateful God gave me Lani back....






No comments:

Post a Comment

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...