Background

Saturday, September 15, 2012

First Shift/Week

Thursday, was my catch up day... I skyped my family, blogged, caught up on some emails, and slept....Oh, and helped clean up the kitchen after dinner. ;p

Friday, I spent the morning with my dear friend and Ate´Josephine, who I worked with at Mercy last year, before God called her back to her village to be a midwife there...We all miss her a ton at Mercy, and I felt very privileged to be able to spend a couple hours with her spontaneously when she happened to be in town.
Then, that afternoon, Sylvette, and a few other midwives and I (sorry, no pictures!) did some shopping for her wedding coming up. Sylvette is my Filipino sister and so special and dear to me. I am so excited to be able to be a part of preparing for her special day, and to see her joined with her longtime sweetheart in November.

Unexpectedly, it looks like I might be hosting an out-of-country visitor in the next few weeks!! Stay tuned to hear more details!!!

This morning -- Saturday -- was my first shift: from 0600-1400. Actually, we're supposed to be there 15 minutes early for endorsements, and adding in the 20 minute walk from our dorm to the clinic, and prepping before that, oh and don't forget changing from your street clothes to your scrubs at the clinic, I'm getting up between 4:30-4:45am minimum. Of course, if I want any real long morning-time for devotions, or didn't have stuff prepped the night before, I'd better be up at 4!!

Guess I'll get lots of practice this month, since I have a ton of Days on schedule. Actually, though I wrote the last paragraph 110% sarcastically, I actually have a big praise. In the past, Day Shift has been extremely hard for me (and that is when we lived RIGHT next door to the clinic!) Seemed like I was often late, or my alarm didn't work or something...so needless to say, last night, I was a little bit petrified.
Like a good girl, I set my alarm, prayed God that I wouldn't miss it, and woke up numerous times in the night, wanting to make sure I didn't miss 'wakeup time'... God woke me up at 4:45am exactly, and I wondered why my alarm didn't go off... Guess what?? It was set on PM instead of AM *forehead slam!* Well, I guess like normal, I can throw the alarm away...oh wait, that would mean my phone...nope, guess I shouldn't do that!! ;p Isn't God so good!! It was like my little reminder for the morning:: GOD IS ENOUGH!! HE IS HERE FOR US EACH STEP OF THE WAY!

Also, the last few mornings, I have woken up around 4:30am with lots of energy, and I'm so grateful for that!!! Praise God!! The weather was beautiful this morning and made for a beautiful walk... It's kinda funny, because we girls have 2 dorms, a block apart, and in a world or brown faces, it almost feels like there is 'something up' for all these girls to gather from different places at a semi-certain time and walk to this certain distant place in the early morning (but not all completely spread out...a little like oblivious). I mean, if I were a Filipino, I'd almost feel like it was almost like the FBI or something...lol Anyway.

So, normally, you have to do a large number of observes, chartings, and assists before you can actually handle a delivery yourself, but because I have previous experience at Mercy, all I need to get is 2-3 Observes, 1 Chart, 2-3 Assists (including an 'Admit Labor and Charting')...

SO, we had just finished endorsements, when one of the other girls' conts. (Continuity of Care) went into full blown 2nd Stage labor, and at 6:19am I checked off my first Observ!! A beautiful, chubby, healthy 8.5 lb girl (Isabella Alaya) was born with minimal problems, though we did have a slight but easily fixed shoulder dystocia and she was pretty blue and nice amount of molding (on the head). Her 5 minute APGAR was a 10!!!
I need to work on being photogenic! lol
It's funny being back at the 'Observ Stage' but it's really good, because I tend to be really reluctant to do anything but watch at the beginning of learning anything....especially if I think I might know something about it. However, I got to be the 'go-fer' for the birth, completed a 3 week bb check, and got to bathe Isabella and do complete vitals. Shift was pretty slow, so we rolled a ton of gauze too (a process of cutting, folding, and then wrapping the gauze in paper in an Origami-type way--thanks Benjamin for teaching me Origami so long away!!).

Another quick praise...This month, I have a lot of shifts with one Supervisor that I didn't work with much last year, but every time we did (including the shift I had my first handle on), it wasn't really a good experience...we just didn't 'click' like I did with the others. Anyway, today--my first time working this year, she was my Super and I was nervous...okay VERY nervous.

Praise God, it was SO good!! I'm actually really looking forward to working with her the many shifts this month, and though it may take a little more work to build a super-good relationship, it will be very good... Am I being redundant? Sorry!! Maybe I should start writing in Visaya... lol Joke lang!! ;p

This afternoon, Karen, Nadine and I went to Al Davinco, and got some things which was fun!! Tomorrow I work Swing Shift with Ate´ Esteph, and I'm REALLY excited!! I haven't seen her yet, and I think it'll be a good day. Quick note though (if you think about it, pray for us!) I guess in past years, September 16th (tomorrow) has consistently been the busiest day of the year. The last 2 days have been really busy as it is...so, who knows what could happen!!!
We will rejoice in Thy salvation, and in the Name of our God we will set up our banners: the LORD fulfill all thy petitions. Now know I that the LORD saveth His anointed; He will hear him from His holy heaven with the saving strength of His right hand. Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the Name of the LORD our God.
~ Psalms 20:5-7 ~

Hear my prayer, O LORD, give ear to my supplications: in Thy faithfulness answer me, and in Thy righteousness....I remember the days of old; I meditate on all Thy works; I muse on the work of Thy hands. I stretch forth my hands unto Thee: my soul thirsteth after Thee, as a thirsty land. Selah.
Hear me speedily, O LORD: my spirit faileth: hide not Thy face from me, lest I be like unto them that go down into the pit. Cause me to hear Thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in Thee do I trus: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto Thee...Teach me to do Thy will; for Thou art my God: Thy spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness. 
~ Psalms 143:1, 5-8, 10 ~

Then shalt thou call, and the LORD shall answer; thou shalt cry, and He shall say, Here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity.
~ Isaiah 58:9 ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...