Background

Saturday, September 22, 2012

1st/11th Catch!!

Well, today, on my 6th Shift, I delivered my 1st baby of the year/11th baby total.  My last shift--when I completed my necessary pre-handles (observs, charting, and assists), I was kinda nervous about delivering a baby...but since then, God has taken that away completely.

Anyway, on with the story:
So, I got to Mercy at 1:45pm - in time for endorsements. Since we have to either walk or ride to MMC, since we live a couple miles away, we have to change into our scrubs at the clinic (like you do at the hospital). Anyway, I had just walked into the break room when one of the Day Shifters walked in and told me that 'my labor' was pushing, and I'd better get in there, or else one of the other Swing Shifters might catch it for me. (How everyone knew that I was up, I don't know...but I guess word travels fast!) So, I scurried into my scrubs, ran in there....and.....she didn't have her baby until 3 pm. LOL
End of Story.
Khiara...Sleeping Beauty... Meaning: Beam of Light.
Small and Dark.
JUST KIDDING! Okay...so: Details:
Andine--my patient was only 15 years old-16 in December. Her boyfriend was 18. She was G1P1, and proved to be an excellent mom. Her bantay (watcher) was her mom, who was very supportive. She labored well, though especially towards the end, she got very restless. The bb's FHT (fetal heart rate) kept going down...maintaining at 120, and then 80, 100, and 110 (normal is 120-160), and so we put her on O2, and did constant fetal head stimulation. When the SROM happened (bag of waters broke), there was moderate meconium staining--not a good thing)..but thankfully it wasn't too thick.
Andine's Family: Dad, brother?, Mother-in-Law/Wet Nurse, Father-in-Law, Bana, Khiara and Andine, me, and Mother
One thing that I have prayed for at every birth, is that my patients wouldn't tear (or at least enough that they need suturing), and so far, God has answered that prayer every time!! Praise God!!!! Anyway, Andine was small, and being a Tae Kwon Do player didn't help loosen her up any, except that she could almost do the splits! Anyway, I was pretty concerned about her potential to tear, but with lots of counter pressure, she only had a few internal skin splits--praise God!!
Such a good mother!! (Love her jean dress!)
Unfortunately, little Khiara--Andine's baby girl, who weighed 6 lbs 14 oz, and was a whopping 22.5" long didn't fare as well... Though she was born with a weak cry and opened her eyes readily, she was gray as death, had a nuchal body wrap (the cord), and had to have serious suctioning and free flow oxgen for a while. Don't worry, it wasn't a 100% stress/adrenaline-filled post-birth...but it wasn't laid back either. Her APGAR Scores were at 1 minute: 5 (-2 Color, -2 Tone, -1 Cry). 5 minute: 7 (-2 Color, -2 Tone), and 10 minute (hardly ever used): 8 (-1 Color, -1 Tone).

* You would like them to be above 7 or 8.

Anyway, the birth and postpartum--over all went excellent. It's always interesting seeing how different Supervisors do different things, and sometimes it can be a little frustrating, when you're used to doing something one way, because that's how the Supers you usually work with like it done, and then for it to be the exact opposite for the Super you're on shift with at the moment, but it went well overall, and a very good experience.
Then, at 7:30pm, I started charting for another delivery: actually for the gal that was a false labor 2 days ago, that I did the Initial Pre-Admit for, and after a long hour of pushing, she finally birthed a tiny 4 lb. 3 oz. little boy!! He was SO tiny! But she sure was happy!!

It is such a privilege to assist God in miracles...I'm so glad to be back hear doing this...though I do have to say that I miss Trauma/Emergency Medicine intensely...God has a plan though!!!

For Thou hast possessed my reins: Thou hast covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise Thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are Thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. My substance was not hid from Thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in Thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them. How precious also are Thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee!!
~ Psalms 139:13-18 ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...