Background

Monday, September 24, 2012

2nd (12th Catch)

Today was a crazy busy day... Last night, I worked the Night Shift, having traded it with one of the other girls, so I could have Sunday off with Rachel, before she leaves.. (Oh, that's right.....)

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT! My sister, Rachel is coming from Singapore to spend 4 days with me this weekend! I am so excited! It's going to be so much fun to show her my little world and have her shadow during shifts.

Anyway, in the midst of trading, somehow I didn't realize I was supposed to work Day Shift this morning!! --Which means I ended up working 17 hours back to back (with some short naps throughout).
I happened to arrive at Mercy at 9:30pm, right after a labor had walked in. She was full of smiles, and we midwives kinda just looked at each other like "I wonder how close she is??" Just so happened that she was 9+ cm (can't always judge a book by it's cover!), and right then and there, she was endorsed to me! This was her 3rd child, and this birth mimicked--almost minute for minute her last birth.
She labored very well, and birthed a 6 lb. 8 oz., 21.5" baby boy -- Aian Jake (pronounced Ian) at 10:01pm, after only 2 contractions!!! The fastest birth I've delivered yet, and praise God, she didn't tear in the slightest!
It was so neat, because this birth/shift was like I was picking up right where I left off last year....what a blessing!! Also, one of my dear friends stayed from Swing Shift to chart the birth--possibly the only birth we'll work on together... Memories made!!

Usually we have 'endorsements', however, this morning, the Supers exchanged info, because....we had 4 births between 6:10am and 7:24am!! 3 of which came in Fully!! So, you can only imagine how busy we were!!! My morning was completely full helping to Admit Labors, Chart Births, take care of our 2 Postpartum patients, fill Oxytocin syringes, sterilize all the instruments (since by 7:30am, we were out of clean cloths and sterile instruments), teach new volunteers techniques on different protocols (some of which I was trying to brush up on myself!), do bb checks, etc. etc. :)
Good morning!!! Then at 11am, a Bajao (tribal) patient came in--my turn was up again...just while I was trying to juggle 3 things. Thankfully, Ate´Suse (my first shift with her and Ate´Elsa together!! woohoo!), decided she wanted to take her on herself, which was a relief... It didn't really matter, because we sent her home shortly after anyway....but there were a few moments this morning that were...intense. ;)
This is what I live for....I would take a hectic, busy shift any day....Adrenaline kicks in, and any tiredness that was there disappears (sometimes with some assistance with good old Caffe´....)

I am appreciate your prayers!! Funny, cuz right before I left for shift, I sent an email to our church with an update, with a note that I'd be working Night Shift when they were reading it, and just so happens, that I had already delivered my 2nd baby by then--in 24 hours!

Before she travailed, she brought forth; before her pain came, she was delivered of a man child. Shall I bring to the birth, and not cause to bring forth? saith the LORD: shall I cause to bring forth, and shut the womb? saith thy God. Rejoice ye...and be glad with her, all ye that love her: rejoice for joy with her...
~ Isaiah 66:7, 9-10 ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...