Background

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Bridesmaid Fitting

Last week, my Filipina 'sister' - Sylvette asked me to be one of her bridesmaids...what an honor!!
Today, we jeepney-hopped across town, including across the River to get my measurements for my bridesmaid dress, as well as take it to the Embroiderer's place.
Unlike in America, it is very inexpensive to have clothes duplicated here (literally), and very often seamstresses are hired (from their little shack homes) to make uniforms, fancy dresses, etc.. and boy, do they do a good job!! I would so love to sit under one sometime!!

For instance, we finally got the dressmaker's house, and after expertly taking my measurements, she picked a piece of the gray overlay (the colors are yellow and gray/silver), and after eyeing the appropriate length, her daughter held the other edge of the slippery fabric while she finger creased the fabric, and cut it (mid air). Then, she brought it to me, and made sure it was correct--of course it was.

Then we took it to the Embroiderer's and she'll embroider the whole skirt with black flowers...it'll be so pretty and unique!!
Ferry Fare (I like the 'English' here--especially the 'religiously' part)
It has been so long since Sylvette and I have traveled-just us, and it was so much fun!! On one of the jeepneys, there happened to be an American guy (mid-age), who was obviously there for. one. reason. Anyway, once Sylvette pointed him out (as 'uh oh!'), I thought 'oh bother!' and tried to (maturely) ignore him, while he flirted with the 35ish gal next to him.

She kept bringing me to his attention, and finally, he turned to me and asked where I was from and what I was doing here. I answered that I was from the US and was a Missionary Midwife. He said he was surprised to see an American girl here, since he pretty much only saw white guys here (well no wonder, considering on why he's here!).
More Waterfront Villages (similar to Isla Verde) on the Bankerohan River 
I then asked him why he was here, and after contemplating a moment, he said he was looking to live here, and after visiting quite a few places in the Philippines, thought Davao would be the place... Sure...

It was funny, because there were about 8-9 of us in the Jeepney, and only 2 of us were Americans... Sylvette has told me before that Filipinos think that Americans are often unfriendly --especially towards other Americans-- which is often true, and so you can only imagine how you could here a pin drop in there while EVERYONE is listening to our ...politely strained??... conversation.
Bankerohan River/Bridge
It was interesting, because it was obvious that he knew that he hadn't fooled me at all as to his reasons for being there, and knew why I didn't want to talk to him either....and thankfully he respected that, because honestly, I was pretty irked about the situation, and was doing my best to keep polite in those few short minutes..lol I really wanted to shake him and tell him to grow up and see what potential he had for good instead of taking advantage of women... Oh well, at least I can always pray for him!!

I asked Sylvette what she thought about the situation, and if I handled myself well enough despite the circumstances and she thought so, and found it quite amusing actually (which I did too, in a simmering type of way)...especially since it irked me so much after the fact... lol

A great buntag (morning) with a great tapos (ending) -- Swing Shift. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah! What a neat opportunity to be in your friend's wedding! You'll be a lovely bridesmaid!;) Could you maybe post some pictures of the event later??:D Lord bless you, friend! <3

    ReplyDelete

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...