Background

Sunday, December 2, 2012

1st Week sa Bukid

I had a royal sendoff by the Bastes and Serisola boys at the Cagayan bus station, and 5.5 hrs later was picked up by Bong and Jemil (my 2 filipino friends...getting married in February!) in Butuan.
Since I didn't get in until around 6pm, we stayed the night at the BOOST (the main Nehemiah Team headquarters), and left for Subait the next day. We arrived around 4pm, and looked around the church, before hiking the 2 km into the jungle to their home, where we had Bible Study and spent the night. 

The next morning, we went back to the church and spent the day roofing the church, completing the rest of the half roof shown below, plus 1/2 of the smaller roof. Tapos (then), we said our goodbyes to Bong and Jemil who headed on to the next part of the weekly routine, leaving me to spend until Saturday with Pastor Ernesto's family, before 'transferring' to Ate Elaina's home for the night/Bible Study, since they live closer to the church.
 Though I worked up in the rafters a bit, I ended up working on the ground, because Ate´ Carmen was afraid for my safety...more on that later. So, my job was to hand up the leaves..which had become the home of ants, large spiders, etc. The farther down you got in the pile, the more you met with...and often got very covered with them... (I'm sure you would have just LOVED that Britney!! ;p) As it was, I had to learn to not shiver at them too..

Anyway, when I got to the last leaf on the ground, I had a feeling there would be a special 'surprise' there...and I was not disappointed.. underneath it lived a huge colony of ani or termites, and also another large colony of ants.
As I mentioned, I stayed at Pastor Ernesto's home from Wednesday afternoon to Saturday afternoon. I loved living at their home for the reason of the exercise it took to get there, as you have to hike 2 km through the jungle to get there. However, it was tough too for a few reasons...
Always wanting a daughter, Ate´ Carmen wanted to adopt me as hers, but on the other hand, always treated me as a 'visceta' (visitor), and wouldn't allow me to do anything, including washing the dishes or helping with the meals, etc. so that when I was at their house, literally all I did was read, try to learn Visayan, and journal. (For those of you who know me, that is really hard on me.)

Also, she was extremely protective--petrified that I would be kidnapped, etc.--and so even the short jaunt to the creek to wash or to the cornfields to relieve myself was a big ordeal, and I was always accompanied. Interestingly, she freaked out if even the faintest hint of dirt/mud was on me (including during our treks through the jungle), and and the times I got cut from the sharp grass was made big over too.
At Ate´Carmen's house with my friend Angel (a girl that I discipled last year), her brother and his friends.
This was really stretching for me, though God used it for good, because I had lots of time to think, pray, read and memorize Scripture, journal, and read my medical books. Also, God showed Himself faithful, and continued to give me the grace, patience, love, and understanding as I asked to still be a blessing.


Thursday, after working on the church, we went to Florida (haha..it is a nearby village here), and bought supplies, and said goodbye to Bong & Jemil. Friday morning, we went back to Florida for a Corn Grower's Coop meeting, which I got to listen into and then also take care of a precious Filipino baby..
Saturday morning, I did my first prenatal for a gal in Subait, who is due in late January, and it is possible I will deliver her baby, as well as provide prenatal care..we will see. And that afternoon, I moved to Ate´Elaina's home. I just adore her family..they are so precious!! Ate´Elaina is one of the women who got saved through the efforts of Nehemiah Teams 2 years ago. Then, last year, I witnessed her get baptized with Nehemiah Teams as well.

Ate´Elaina has 10 kids (3 of which were adopted, including her 1 year old niece who is 1/2 American), and is a living, breathing example of 1 Corinthians 7:14 which says: "For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife....else were your children unclean; but now are they holy." Though her bana (husband) is a non-believer, through her selfless, generous, and joyful spirit, not only does he allow them to attend church, but he also allows them to have Bible Study every Saturday night with us at their home, and is happier because of it. Her children also radiate her joy, or rather Christ's joy through her.. I have not heard their testimonies to know if any of the kids are saved, though I think at least a few of them are, but they all joyfully participate and are hungry to learn, and love sharing what God is doing, and what they are grateful for.
Saturday night, Kuya Bong and Jemil joined me at Ate´Elaina's and taught the Bible Study. Then, we had testimony/thanksgiving time, and ate & fellowshipped until bed afterwards.
Two happy beans..
Precious Angelika (age 10) , one of the girls in the family who I am big sister to.
Anna Rose (12) & Nicole (the 1/2 American girlie)..2 of my other 'little sisters'
Watching a movie before bed..
Nicole...I would so love to adopt her and bring her back to the States...though of course that is unrealistic..she loves me too.
Sunday morning, we all went to the church, and were greeted by a wonderful damang (spider), who informed us that he wanted to preach the message..however, he finally allowed Bong to teach, and retreated to the corner to listen and learn from there. ;p
He's about 5" in diameter
Fellowshipping while waiting for the rest of the congregation. (Why can't Americans be satisfied with an open door church and log benches?? Oh wait...I guess we do get snow in the winter.....but still! It would be MUCH more cost effective!!)
Precious Angie and I (I braided her hair and tied it with grass)
:)
Bong preached on Matthew 1:18-25, about how Jesus is really the Reason of Christmas, and how important it is to keep that in focus as we celebrate this Season..not just the gift exchanges (which is huge here in the Philippines..they are a very giving people.) He did an excellent job, and even tied in Football and Basketball into it (with Michael Jordan..how a loosing team goes to a winning team with the right member added..)  We also had communion--Tang juice and wafers.
Afterwards, we had Paniudto (Lunch) as a church, and my medical skills were called on by 3 guys who were involved in a motorcycle accident a couple days prior and had wounds that needed cleaning up.. (regular occurence now..cleaning up motorcycle wounds..but does that stop them (or me ;p), of course NOT!!! Why should it?? Same goes for horsebackriding. ;p)
Tapos, we went back to Ate´Elaina's home, packed up and went to Las Nieves (where Jemil stays), where we had merienda at the boardinghouse before going across the river and driving to EG Montilla to give the service there and have dinner.
Waiting in EG Montilla for the members...we were all tired, but God gives the grace!
Looking out across the EG Montilla fields...I think EG Montilla is the most gorgeous place yet that I have seen in the Philippines....utterly spectacular farming lands..and the picture in no way does it justice.
Bong in his gear getting ready to take us home for the night.
A beautiful sunset, which in no way looks like the real gorgeous thing.
Thus concludes the first week.
How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!
~ Isaiah 52:7 ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...