Background

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Balik sa Marbel

Originally, we had planned to spend Sunday night at the boarding house in Las Nieves, but since we got there at 7pm, we decided we might as well spend it at the BOOST, since I needed to pack up my stuff there anyway (though I left my medical gear there, and anything else I knew I wouldn't need over Christmas break), which would make us able to head out earlier Monday morning.
The house we stay in at the BOOST when we spend the nigh
Looking down from our house at the BOOST, to the rest of the buildings/property 
The goats and rabbits are raised in 2 sheds like this, right past our house.
The medical clinic at the BOOST
Our Church Building at the BOOST..isn't it a gorgeous area??!
We all got a fairly good night sleep, and after a quick snack, took the motorcycle in, dropped it off at  our host church, and then ate breakfast at an eatery (typical rice, chicken, eggs, and gulay), before settling onto the bus for a 7 hour drive to Davao City.
Originally, we had planned that I would go on Christmas break around December 21st, but Bong and Jemil had to go to Davao for his sister's wedding, and so asked if it would be okay if I left the Bukid early, for traveling sake. The Serisolas (Sylvette's family, who I spent Christmas with) were happy to have me an extra week, and it was settled.
On the route we  took (Southeastern), we saw some of the more damaged areas of the island (though still not so bad as the Davao Oriental area), pictures of which I showed here.
I got an unexpected but delightful call on my cellphone from my family in the States, wondering how I was doing. We had made arrangements for me to skype then when I got into Davao tonight, but somehow, in the communication, they thought it was last night, and so started trying to track me down, since they hadn't heard from me since the night before the Bagio hit.
Flooded rice fields on my way to Koronodal,  in Davao del Sur area.
He emailed a lot of my friends, and anyone he thought might have heard from me, including one organization he thought might be connected with Nehemiah Teams. Well, they in turn decided to contact the International Mission Board (IMB), who sent emails out to a lot of the directors in my area, and my friends and I started getting phone calls and texts wondering about me...
A house surrounded by it's flooded rice fields..amazing how that little 'island' isn't!!
It was actually pretty funny how widely it got spread, but praise God, I was just fine... The thing I love about my dad, is that while he was waiting to hear back on answers, he was already looking up tickets to fly over and find me.. Sure, some people would think that is ridiculous--I'd only been out of contact for 6 days...but my daddy loves me, and I'm his princess... I know I can count on him at any hour, to move heaven and earth to help me, and I love him for it...there is a security in it..a security that a lot of girls don't have, and I count myself SO very blessed to have a father who trusts God explicitly for my safety, but also takes his responsibility seriously as being my gatekeeper and protector!!! :)
A homestead..
Anyway, we arrived in Davao around 4:30pm, and after saying goodbye until the New Year to Bong and Jemil, I walked the 2 km to my dorm, dumped my stuff, and then rushed off to the Visa Extension office. Since I wasn't sure when I would exactly get back to Davao, I decided to process my next Visa Extension before I left, as my previous Extension expired January 9th. It's great, because with the agency I use, I can get in and out of there in about 10 minutes!!

However, I felt a little pressured, because I couldn't remember if they closed at 5 or 6 pm. Thankfully, they closed at 6. While I was out, I decided to get some 'Pasalubong' (gifts) or Christmas presents for the kids up in Butuan, and also got some stuff for my special family down in Koronodal...
Another picture or beautiful South Cotabato
I spent my evening wrapping presents, repacking my stuff for Koronodal, skyping my blood family and my 2nd family, which ended up leaving me with less than 3 hours of sleep before leaving for Marbel, but it was worth it!!!
I love South Cotabato!!
I took the 5:30am bus to Marbel, and I remember asking God for safety on our trip over... Later I got a few texts saying they were praying for my safety as well, and I guess I needed it, because we were all kind of sleeping, when we were almost involved in a collision. There was a semi on our right (I was seated on the left side), and we literally got within 6 inches of each other (about 3 feet forward of where I was sitting), before the driver was able to get out of it..it was so close, and the rest of the trip, everyone got edgy anytime we got within close proximity of another large vehicle. :)
An elementary school in South Cotabato
I arrived in Marbel in good time, and was picked up by one of my kuyas..boy was it good to see them all again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...