Background

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Post-Op Life

Today
I write this post, from my spacious new room (our guest room), which is my room for the next few weeks, until company kicks me out, ;p as I sip on a cup of Tomato Soup (yes, I'm actually sipping it, which is a big change from receiving all my nutrition from a 60 ml syringe...which I am still being fed from as well.) :)

Life is good...I am enjoying it with a great big smile (inwardly if not always outwardly), and am growing even closer to my Lord and Saviour....we have had amazing 2 am talks these last few days, and though I like my sleep, it has well been worth it.

For the last 5 days, I have been spoiled rotten by everybody...so many people...a little overwhelming for a girl who is almost NEVER sick!!!  On one hand, it has been kinda humbling to be at the mercy of other people, but on the other (in a maybe partially selfish sort of way??), I am REALLY enjoying it too....  On one hand, I love all the attention, but on the other, something deep down inside of me says: "YOU should be taking care of them!!"  And so I try....at least with good humor.
Post-Op  -   Just home
As I said in my last post, surgery went well.  The only complication I experienced was that my body really likes to bleed (which was not really expected), and so I lost over 1/3 of my blood during surgery, before they were able to get my blood pressure low enough that it eventually stopped. Thus, my primary focus of healing, is getting my energy levels back up. :)
Pre-Op with my Anesthetist 
I woke up from surgery pretty fast, and loved my hospital experience (which I didn't have to leave!!)....and my IV... :O  I had the best nurses... One of the first thing I noticed is that I could actually breathe through my nose without any problems!!
With my Primary Post-Op Nurse-Dayna
Supposedly, the 3rd day is the hardest day, because your body is waking up from surgery. Also, a lot of people experience depression and start second-guessing surgery (which was not a problem for me, because I can breathe!!! That should kick anybody out of 2nd guesses! ;p).  Anyhow, I actually found my 4th day-Thursday to be the hardest. That was the day I was most dizzy, and my brain figured out that the funny sensations (not sharp, aggravating pain, but dull, numbing,  and pins-&-needly like) I was feeling should now be classified as 'pain'.
Home Sweet Home
It's so neat to see how God makes our bodies, because at least with mine, He created this little function that, once it identifies something as "painful", it starts minimizing it as fast as possible... So Friday, I got 'used' to the 'pain' that was identified on Thursday, and so today has been a breeze...
Post-Op Check (Day 2) with my Dr.
Overall, I have thoroughly enjoyed this adventure so far...yes, there have been may ups and downs, and my energy level is still very low, which can be frustrating, but God is King over everything, and He is continuing to teach me to be still and know He is God.  Life is a continual refining process, and again, God has proven Himself faithful.

Again, I thank you all for your prayers. This adventure I'm on is not over yet, but it's a start..and a good one at that!! I leave you with these words which have been on my mind a lot lately:
I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger
Just traveling through this world of woe
Yet there's no sickness, toil, nor danger
In that bright land to which I go
I'm goin' there to see my Father
I'm going there no more to roam
I'm just a goin' over Jordan
I'm just a goin' over home

I know dark clouds will gather 'round me
I know my way is rough and steep
Yet golden fields lie just before me
Where God's redeemed their vigil keep

I'm goin' there to meet my siblings
They said they'd meet me when I come
I'm only goin' over Jordan
I'm only goin' over home

I want to wear a crown of glory
When I get home to that good land
I want to shout salvation's story
In concert with the blood-washed band

I'm goin' there to meet my Saviour
To sing His praise forever more
I'm just a goin' over Jordan
I'm just a goin' over home

And they that know Thy name will put their trust in Thee: for Thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek Thee.  Sing praises to the LORD, which dwelleth in Zion: declare among the people His doings.
 ~ Psalms 9:10-11 ~

1 comment:

  1. I hope your recovery continues to go well, Sarah! You are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...