Background

Monday, August 1, 2011

Day 64: 5th Birth!!

I had Day Shift today. Between taking care of my laboring patient (below), my 2nd handle Lalai came in with her bana and baby Marian for their 3 week baby check.
 I was also endorsed this postpartum, of this VERY sweet mommy and her baby....the "Lola" was a hoot too (and the bana, who is taking this picture was very respectful)....lol
At 8:20am, Allyn Ruth, a 22 year old, G2P2, came back in (she had come in at 4 am, but was sent home to wait for labor to progress). We monitored contractions, and she had a nap in the hall, before we did an IE at 10:45am, showing that she was 5 cm dilated.
At 11:25 am, her whole body started shaking uncontrollably--transition time!! Though Allyn had a low pain tolerance, she sure was good at pushing and breathing....at the same time!! lol After only 2 minutes of pushing....major pushing..the baby was out at 11:39am (we joked that she could have easily pushed triplets out with her volocious pushing. "Eveta Sandy Ruth" was born with a nuchal cord loop around her neck, but it was loose, and easily slipped over her shoulders. She weighed 5 lbs. 9 oz, had Apgar Scores of 8 and 9, and was 19.5" long.
She had a very slight tear, about 1 cm, which did not need suturing (praise the Lord!!) A few interesting birth notes: The placenta seemed very short at the time (actually, it was all caught up), and so we cut the baby's cord before the placenta was expelled. No pulse was felt in the cord, but after we cut it, it was leaking more blood than would usually come in from the cord being cut, so I just clamped it with my fingers, until the placenta was expelled..just kind of interesting....
Another thing, we did "Brent Andrews" with no retraction, and then did CCT. The placenta was born both Schultz and Duncan (1/2 and 1/2 inside/outside) with the whole chorion part of the placenta "trailing inside". We twisted it like normal, but the whole Chorion retained inside, and so we had to go after it with hemostats...then a small piece tore off, and we had to go after it again!! That was pretty interesting....first time I'd had to do that, and thankfully Maria was able to help me... Her total EBL was 300 cc, and we gave her 10 u Pit.
After shift, Sylvette and I went downtown to pick up a package from my Oma and Grampaw that was at the post office, and extend my 59 day Visa. Boy did we have fun!! ...Just like we always have...
I know...it's huge!!! It hung out ALL day yesterday in the Clinic Hall...
When my Oma asked me what I wanted, I told her that anything in a package is good....it's just SO much fun to receive stuff over here!! A touch of home you know.... Anyway, in the box they sent was a writing book and pen, blowing bubbles, some assorted candy, and a little purse that she made herself with butterflies on it (my and her favorites....)...and then, there was the delightful letter from her and Grampaw....It was such a delight, and Sylvette enjoyed it almost as much as I did!!

Another angle...this is a "Swallow Tail Moth" (We saw it in the middle of July in our porch at night..at first the girls thought it was a bat, and boy! did they scream!!! lol
After that, we went to try to find the Visa Extension Office...unfortunately, we got 4 different directions, and spent the afternoon hunting it down!! The best part was when Sylvette was trying to see if this one Jeepney would take us to a certain place, and she asked like 4 times in her own language, and the driver said "yes", and then after taking past any place we might have needed to be by 5-10 minutes, we finally asked AGAIN, and he said "No, I don't go there!!"...boy was she frustrated!! It was pretty hilarious to see a Filipina frustrated at her own countrymen for their problems....glad to know we Expats aren't alone!!! lol

 We finally found it (after ice cream found us...lol...as always..my and Sylvette's mutual downfall :D), next to Victoria Mall, only to find that there were 2 dates on the visa, and it was the earlier one that mattered, meaning I got a late fee.....I wonder if they do that on purpose?!?!?! Oh well!!
This is dedicated to Annie Barnett ;) ...I thought she'd enjoy it......
Good day,...fun times,...going to miss them....
The birth went really well, and I learned a whole ton...it had a lot of firsts too:
1) First Nuchal anything
2) First still slightly pulsing cord after cord cut
3) First Placenta Tear/Hemostat Save :)
4) First 1/2 1/2 Schultz Duncan

I will praise Thee: for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are Thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
~ Psalms 139:14 ~


One of my handles....Vervilyn or "Lalai" sent me this text today..... "Don't go back to the USA. You stay here in the Philippines because we have many moms who need you."

Oh that we would serve wherever we are......no matter what..what an encouragement it was to get this....all I can say, is Praise the Lord, and may I be able to minister where ever I go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...