Background

Sunday, February 16, 2014

A Higher Calling

I've had a lot to think about this week... A lot has happened, and God is good! We went to a memorial service for one of our church members yesterday....a precious older lady who has quietly spread God's light to all who have come in contact with her...

Looking back to even my early childhood days, I remember her little notes of encouragement she'd write, and wonder 'Why did she write me?', 'That's so sweet, but I don't even really know her!' ... but even just those little notes encouraged me...I didn't really know her, but she affected and blessed me, and made me want to be more of a courageous warrior for Christ because of her Godly example.
The question that kept coming back to me was: "What legacy will I leave behind when I die?"
"What do I want to be said at my memorial service?"

I love reading epitaphs....and some of them are pretty funny, but if you think about it, do you really want to just be remembered for being "Late for everything including his own funeral."??

No!! I want to press onto the higher calling and mark of Christ! And what is that?

In my Bible reading yesterday, Matthew 13:22-23 really hit me. Ponder this:
"He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the Word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulnss of riches, choke the Word, and he becometh unfruitful.

But he that receiveth seed into the good ground is he that heareth the Word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundred fold, some sixty, some thirty."
In our modern American world of technology and business, isn't it so easy to allow the cares of the world to start choking out Christ? I'm working on this right now--amidst my varied schedule, I'm trying to truly REST in the Saviour...treasure each moment, and use it wisely...

My great-aunt Lisa encouraged me last year to make each moment with those I come in contact with truly count--'Make them feel as if they're the only person in the world for those minutes.' Honestly, that is really hard for me!! I like people, but sometimes I accidentally think of them as 'in the way' to get the projects done... But when it's all said and done, what will have eternal value? The people we reach and touch for Christ, or the projects that we get done (be they of eternal value or not)...

I love this quote:
One of these days, I must go shopping.
I am completely out of generosity and I must get some more.
I also want to exchange the self-satisfaction I picked up the other day for some real humility,
which they say wears better.
I must look at some tolerance, and the samples of kindness, one can never have too much of that.
I'll try to match the patience I saw on a friend the other day, it looked quite becoming on her; I think it will look equally good on me.
While shopping, I'll try on that suit of charity on display.
I must remember to get my sense of humor mended and keep my eyes open for some inexpensive goodness.
It is surprising how quickly one's stock is depleted.
Yes, I must go shopping.
- Anonymous

Another thought-provoker:
"The most difficult t hing for us as Christians to take is the postponement of God's liberating us from our difficulties."
(Do I have an amen?)

"Mine eyes shall be upon the faithful of the land, that they may dwell with Me: he that walketh in a perfect way, he shall serve Me."
~ Psalms 101:6 ~

What is God showing you?

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your encouragement, and inspiration. It was so timely for I had just been thinking about the higher purposes of life. May God bless you as you seek to be all you can be for His glory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, miss Sarah! Gave me allot to think over! =) Thank you sharing your heart with transparency! Also, here's an "amen"! =D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elanee and Mallory, love you girls!! Glad God was able to use it to encourage you both!! You are both encouragements to me!

    ReplyDelete

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...