Background

Monday, February 24, 2014

Belize Mission 2014

Belize.....So much was accomplished there,...where do I start? God is so good!!! We were a team of 30 going down, including a family with 3 kids under 4...talk about fun!!

Originally, besides ministry, we went down there to renovate a poorly made building, plus fencing, and so much more...however, when we got down there, we found out that most of the projects we were originally asked to do had already been completed by other teams!! However, work never stops....and we were given a long list of things needing done, which somehow we got most of them done.....incredible! God is so gracious!!

During project hours, I was almost completely devoted to the tile laying in the laundry/bathroom/shower facility: 5 rooms.. However, this had a special challenge with it, as the inner walls were not built straight, nor was the concrete level, so it was time-consuming, to say the least...however, I LOVED it, and learned so much...and checked another thing off my Bucket List!!! (Feeling closer to being able to renovate my own home one day!)
Unfortunately, 1 week into being there, I pulled my right forearm's tendon, messed up the sheath and surrounding nerves (found out later I had just overused it...seriously?!)...which praise God I'd brought my handy brace, and was able to make a makeshift sling for the rest of the time there...coming back, healing has been slow, even now (6 weeks later), but praise God, I have an awesome Chiropractor-Therapist, and it has much improved...

So, for the next week, I tile layed and did everything else all with my left hand--talk about gaining more experience and coordination!! God is so gracious!!


Our schedule was interesting.....working all day on the different projects, and then quickly freshening for Bible Clubs in the mid afternoon, and often we had evening commitments too... However, during the Bible Clubs, 3 little girls accepted Jesus Christ as their Saviour, and about 70 kids learned more about Jesus. We also had young men and women discipleships happening at the same time--about 30 or so there, and also Pre-K for the little ones.
Other ministry opportunities we had were 2 chapel services held in the govermentry schools (with around 700 kids each!); Marion's luncheon and outreach that she (a Belizean missionary) has every day for a bunch of poorer school kids, where evangelism is done; an evening at The Kings' Children's Home (where we hosted an ice cream social); Ladies and Mens' Seminars, and a Pastors' Seminar.
I found out that short-term mission trips are MUCH different than longer term mission trips, however, the saving grace was knowing that we weren't just leaving the people we encouraged to the wolves, but that there were pastors who were going to follow up with them....the biggest thing we all wished for was more time to disciple them..

When we first arrived, I had a really hard time not comparing everything I saw with the Philippines...and I felt that they were so much more well-to-do... I quickly realized that what I was lacking was compassion, and so I cried out to God to give me a compassion for these people, as all people need Jesus..no matter if they live in a 3rd world, 2nd world, or 1st world country...and praise God, He did!!

I found it fascinating trying to look through the eyes of the many teammates of mine who had never been to a 2nd world country before...in some ways, I felt they had an innocence and excitement that I haven't felt for ages...it was really eye-opening..even down to Palm Trees... :)
One of the biggest things I enjoyed was the closeness and restfulness I felt with God while there....something about the mission field..even though I went down with church-mates, it really is me and God...He is the One I utterly rely on, and trust my decisions to.. I miss that in the US, but praise God, He is showing me how to have that 'resting-ness and closeness' here as well, despite living at home and in crazy, fast-paced America!!!

What a wonderful thing it is to truly rest in our Saviour, and leave all burdens and cares at His feet!! There is no need to stress!! As my new mantra is.... "Don't worry, Trust Jesus!!"

There is so much more I could share...but honestly, I would rather ask you to ask me questions, if you want to know more...just ask them in the comment section!

I posted some pictures on my Belize Overview post last month, but I also created a slideshow for our church presentation, which you can watch below!!

"But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the Gospel, even so we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts. For neither at any time used we flattering words, as ye know, nor a cloke of covetousness; God is witness:
Nor of men sought we glory, neither of you, nor yet of others, when we might have been burdensome, as the apostles of Christ.
But we were gentle among you, even as a nurse cherisheth her children."
~ I Thessalonians 2:4-7 ~

Want to know something particular about our trip?
I shall try to answer all questions!

2 comments:

  1. is it just me or are there snow falling on the screen of my laptop....??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha....Sarra, it actually is snow....just don't let it ruin your screen! ;P JK...actually, it's an add-on I always add during the winter. :)

      Delete

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...