Background

Friday, November 16, 2012

Koronadal Wedding Rehearsal

Unfortunately the Wedding Rehearsal was not well photographed, and the few that were taken on my camera didn't have good lighting...here are the few that I do have though.. :)
4 Bumps sitting on the Window Ceil...waiting for the Rehearsal to start
The rehearsal was much different than American rehearsals...mostly, it was to rehearse the processional, which gets a little complicated, because first the Ninos and Ninyas walk up--the sponsors...something I would love to incorporate into my wedding...

In our American weddings, our 'witnesses' are all those in the audience, however, in Filipino weddings, they have special or 'Principal Sponsors', who have a place of honor in both the wedding ceremony and  reception.. Not only do they become almost like 'God-parents', but are especially called to support them in the future in any ways that are needed--accountability, encouragement, counsel, spiritually, emotionally, even financially, if needed. They also witness the couple's signing of the Marriage Contract and sign it themselves.

I will explain more of the way the wedding worked in my next post about the wedding, but one thing I will say is that they honor those important in their life, including parents a lot more than we do in our normal American weddings, and really make the wedding ceremony worth the money put into it.

The only thing negative I would have to say about the rehearsal is I didn't feel it gave enough direction to the responsibilities of those involved..for instance, though we practiced alone with our piano accompaniment (as besides being a bridesmaid, I also sang), I had no clue when I was supposed to sing, or that it would really be like I was a CD--being turned up or down when needed...I learned all of that by watching those before me, and by actually doing it--during the wedding... Praise God, my piano accompanist was amazing!!

Also, I had no clue the responsibilities of the bridesmaid, before, during, or after the wedding..it just wasn't discussed--and the others didn't know either... For practical, 'let-me-know-and-I-can-do-it' me, that got a bit frustrating..and being given different messages by different people didn't help either..however, God was gracious, and Filipinos are really lax..as I will explain tomorrow...so there were no problems..I just felt really stupid sometimes..haha

Funny..the rehearsal was originally supposed to start 'in the afternoon'..then it was 4pm...and then finally 6pm... Well, it started at 7:30pm ;) That's Filipino time for you!!
Afterwards, people were still practicing music, and doing different things upstairs in the auditorium, as well as manicures for the Bride, Mother-of-Bride, Maid of Honor, and anyone else who wanted one done (including the guys..who got clear of course).
I don't like my fingernails painted--just my toenails, and since I do my own upkeep, at least weekly, I declined...
Anyway, we (Serisolas, relatives, etc..the Mercy girls had already retired) all sat downstairs--outside, waiting.... Of course, since we are the bride's family, we can't just leave them..even if it is 10pm, and we have an early morning too. :)
Sylvette's brothers and cousins
We finally decided to get/make Midnight Merienda, at alas onse gabii (11pm)...that included Kape (coffee) and Pan (bread..or rolls). Namit! (delicious) It was raining off and on too, which made it fun.

Finally, after talking, and talking, and talking, and goofing off, I had already taken the first batch of dishes back to the kitchen, and hating to do nothing (when I couldn't sleep then anyway...), I grabbed the second batch of mga baso (glasses), knowing there was a FULL sink of dishes to get done...

Oh, first I should preface that I became the 'official dishwasher'....which kind of astonished them, because I guess they the idea that 'Sylvette's American Friend' would be touristy, and be afraid of eating Filipino food, living their simple life, butchering the baboy (are you kidding me!?), or pitching in... Well...I guess I failed those expectations slightly..
Dishwashing.....
Anyway, I had barely been back there 2-3 minutes when almost the whole group came back to the kitchen, knowing that I would be washing dishes..which I was.... In a way, it was overwhelming..not only did they know me so well, but also I have NEVER felt as much love as I have felt here in the beautiful, small town of Marbel..
Everything is fun if you make it fun!!!! :D
Since being here in Marbel, God has broken down so many barriers that I have built and erased lies I have believed about myself in the past 20 years...simply by the love these people showed me by including me as part of them. I praise God for what He is doing....and for ever drawing me closer to Himself.

Love ye therefore the stranger: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.
~ Deuteronomy 10:19 ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...