Background

Sunday, November 4, 2012

23rd Catch

Well, after a crazy shift with 10 babies in 10 hours and 2 midwives catching 2 babies, each within 4 hours of eachother, I got a break for a week. During that week, I said goodbye to my precious friend Karissa who went back home, caught up on some MUCH needed sleep, and worked on preparations for not only Sylvette's wedding but also for going to Butuan....and family's Christmas back home--talk about time consuming!! ;)

So, during a Day Shift, my labor came in Fully at 10am, washed in the CR, went to the bed and started pushing at 10:05am. All we had time to get was a BP and heart tones. The baby was born in the caul and was almost a borderline shoulder dystocia..his very sticky shoulders took under a minute to be born, however we had to do hyperflexing and had just started to apply superpubic pressure when he the shoulder slipped out from under the pelvic bone and a beautiful baby boy was born at 10:11am.  beautiful baby boy was born at beautiful boy was born at 10:11am with AROM and lots of gushings of blood and fluid. His APGAR Scores were 8, 10 and he weighed 7lbs 15 oz. and was 55.5cm long.
Had to get a picture with my precious Ate´ - Sylvette...even though she was on Swing shift
There was another birth going on at the same time, so my supervisor was in and out of my cubicle. As soon as the baby was born, she left, knowing if I needed something, I'd tell her. Well, she wasn't within yelling range, and when my patient started hemorrhaging (usually I always clarify with my Super just because on all procedures, but this was emergent, and there was not time to try to find her), I took control of the situation, and had Pit. administered, did BA, cherry pop maneuver, CCT, and got the placenta out. She did have a small tear, that we decided to suture.

Unfortunately, the placenta was weak as well, and the entire amnion tore off, and had to be removed with hemostats. Just as I finished, my Super came back, and I went over everything I did, got a pat on the back, and went on with it... Wow!! Might not sound like much, but it was a big deal for me--gave me even more confidence in my midwifery abilities.
It was neat, because even though this was a borderline dystocia birth, I was really in control, more so than any of my other births in the past (since there was another birth going on, and my , even though I have been in control with those too, but just not so much.. So when she started hemorrhaging, it was like clockwork in my mind--give Pit, do BA, CCT and get the placenta out.

Another beautiful birth...Thank you Jesus!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...