Background

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

24th/25th Catch (in 4 hours!)

Originally, I hoped I would be able to deliver another 10 babies while I was, but as I was delivering them so fast and together, I realized it was very possible I might get up to 25. And thus, that last 2 weeks, I prayed.
Mark Antony
This Night Shift, I had just gotten off a very busy day after the night shift the night before, and had a ton of stuff to do. Realizing I needed to catch a baby this shift to get to 25, I asked God if He could give me the birth soon, so I would have energy and not be tired, and then I could work on the whole pile of stuff I had brought to work on...

3 week Check
Well, God always knows best, and He granted my first wish whole-heartedly and abundantly, but in doing so deemed it unnecessary to grant the last part, knowing it was not for the best. Praise Him!!

Just prior to endorsements at 10pm, a labor came in, and after being deemed fully, she was endorsed to me. She was 24, and it was her first baby. However, this girl needed coaching...without contractions, heart tones were a normal 130, but during contractions they would range anywhere down to an alarming 80 bpm!
3 Week Check
We tried many different things-breathing, O2, D5LR, head stim, side-lying, etc. However, we could feel a large fetal caput quickly forming. The baby BOY! (Mark Antony) came easily though, and was out at 10:43pm with both nuchal hand and body wrap, and some Mec Staining. We gave him Vit. K immediately to counteract the caput. His APGAR scores were 8 and 8, 5lbs 1oz, and 52cm long. She only had a 1st degree tear, however there were bleeders involved so suturing was necessary.
It was so sweet..her bana had to go work (nights), and so he left his 14 year old daughter to be bantay, and she was so good and sweet!! I kind of adopted her for the night she took care of the baby while her mom was being sutured.
We had a busy night, and so when another labor came in at 11:15pm, I had a feeling she would end up mine..however Nancy did almost all of my labor watching for me until the end, with me just going in to check different things for a while. We made a great team.
With only 3 catching midwives on shift, it was a busy night.
Ate´did an IE at midnight, showing she was 5cm. Thus, I had time to finish paperwork and get my 1st handle of the night transferred to postpartum. Take to mind that was a 18 y/o G2P2 (very responsible, I might add). Her labor cracked me up, because at times she was very quiet, and others she was....very noisy. ;) Her sister was her bantay, and between contractions she had this great big smile on her face, and really knew what she was doing. She would spontaneously change positions, do labor stim, and was very good at breathing, so we pretty much let her do her own thing. She really liked H& K on the birth ball (I think that is my favorite position too).
At 2:32am she used the CR, and upon returning, BOW was visible. Wow....5cm to Fully in 2.5 hours... At 2:46am, she had SROM (moderate staining) and at 2:48am, baby GIRL was out with a posterior nuchal hand and continuous multiple gushings of blood. APGAR Scores of 8 and 9, 7lbs 10oz, 56 cm long. EBL was 550cc with only a slight skin split.

The baby was doing so well, we didn't do suctioning, but that came back to bite us, as 2 hours later, as she started having respiratory distress, and neither bulb syringe or the machine suctioning device was helping...so we ended up transporting the baby to SPMC.

Also, we ended up giving the mom a D5LR IV, since her pulse was too high, and wasn't coming down, and she was experiencing some nausea. Normal protocol is to give D5LR if the EBL is over 500cc, but she was doing so well, we didn't...

Anyway, with the transport, I barely made it back to endorsements, and again, had a ton of paperwork left!! Arggh!! Anyway, wonderful shift, learned a ton, and delivered 25 babies!!!
This was such a blessing, because as I had an inkling of a feeling...my last shift was completely dead (baby-wise)..of course there were other things to do.

I love God's sense of humor!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...