Background

Friday, May 18, 2012

Skills Camp - Day 6

Friday. National Skills Test day.
Got up & ready at 0500, had my devotions, took a long early morning walk with my roommate by the lake, and practiced some last minute scenarios, had breakfast, and then realized my driver's license (needed for the National Test) was in my vehicle down the road..so I ran and got it. Then, one of my other mates realized they had left their steth & sphygmomanometer in their car, so I volunteered to run get their's for them. FYI, I'm a morning person...I love mornings (sometimes) and the fresh air. ;p
Maybe I didn't intend to fall completely in love with EMS, but I did!
Idaho EMS gave all of us an Orientation (the instructors, patients, and helpers had theirs separately) after calling in the roll. Very formal. There were about 22 of us testing. We finally got started a little before 0930.

For us EMT-Basics, we had 7 skills (2 performed back to back) we had to perform, without missing any critical criteria (BSI, Scene Safe, O2, Immediate Transfer, unsafe care, too much time, etc. etc.). We went in rounds, and I was called in the second round to do Supine Spinal Immobilization (max. 10 minutes).
Now remember, this is the one that I had practiced last night (my adrenaline was still up from it, & I couldn't stop it, which was really frustrating, because crisis is NEVER the time to be uptight!!), and it took around 15 minutes because I was laughing so hard.. I don't get stressed...but I confess, I  was nervous!! Okay...super nervous. (Which, is completely unprofessional in my opinion..so I was trying to cover it up.)

Anyway, after collecting myself, I went to 'the room', and just so happened to know 3 out of the 4 people there!! (My 2 assistants & my patient). One of them gave me a look & a nod of assurance that said "Hey, you can do this! You'll do fine!", which totally calmed me down, and helped me get completely focused.

I made good time--under 8 minutes, and my proctor gave me a thumbs up... I covered all the criteria..the only thing I messed up on, was that in checking CMS, I asked the patient to push their feet against my 'feet' instead of my hands.. =) I said it 4 times!! Thankfully I caught myself after I said 2 of them...it gave a good laugh.
Next, was the Trauma Assessment (max. 10 minutes).  I completed it in 6. The scenario was of a girl who had fallen from a porch and had landed on the steps below with all noticeable injuries on her right side. I found paradoxical movement of her chest, bleeding from her ear & ecchymosis around that and on her temple (possible skull fracture), bloody vomitus, and an open hand fracture.
I made a couple of mistakes, which I caught in my 2nd assessment (gave her NRB instead of BVM, and didn't suction her right away)...and so I wasn't sure if I'd pass it...even though it didn't seem to be 'critical criteria'.
My next one was BCSM (Bleeding Control/Shock Management) I completed it in under 4 minutes...and kind of went overboard,  ;p...all I needed to do was stop the bleeding and control shock, but I decided to cover everything from vitals to a mini assessment, and my ABC's. The poor kid said he got into a fight "selling drugs, but it didn't go too well".. I guess not! :)
My 4th was CPR/AED. I took 4-5 minutes. My 'assistant' wasn't quite with it (didn't really communicate back to me), the way my practice buddies were...and so there were a few transitions I didn't feel were smooth enough or good enough...even though I was trying to communicate what needed to happen.. There were also a few minor points I forgot to say. Oh well. So, I walked away not sure about this one either.
My 5th/6th station was O2 (Both NRB-Non Rebreather & BVM-Bag Valve Mask). The way they set it up, we did both back to back, in a semi-one situation, which was mentally interesting, trying to make sure that I didn't miss any of the points during transition...I did miss one. But felt good on it.
BVM
My 7th and last station was the Medical Assessment. It took me about 7 minutes (out of 10). I felt pretty confident. The scenario was an older gal complaining of chest pain..a full out heart attack actually. I gave her the prescribed medication I could (Nitro & Aspirin), O2, and did an immediate transport.
Still, I figured I would have to retake at least one over again..not for any particular reason...but  I could hardly fathom that I'd get it on the first try!! Finally, my papers came in, my name was called, and I found out the results: I PASSED MY NATIONAL SKILLS TEST THE FIRST TRY!!!
Wow, that was a shock!!

So, now all I have to do is pass my Adaptive Written Test (extremely similar format to that which RNs have to take), and I'll be Nationally Certified!

Cause me to hear Thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in Thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto Thee. Teach me to do Thy will; for Thou art my God: Thy spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness.
~ Psalms 143:8 & 10 ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...