Background

Sunday, May 13, 2012

An EMT in Progress

Last week, I finished my EMT Course: my 1500 page EMT-Basic Manual....my beloved "Orange Book"...the handbook all EMTs are supposed to know backwards and forwards.... (I have the forwards part down, but am still working on the backwards) ;p, the Final Exam, and 4 required Certificates (Helicopter/LZO Cert, HazMat, ICS-100 [Incident Command System], & IS-700 [Overview on NIMS]).
Best Online Course on the Market...HIGHLY recommended!
Thursday, I started doing ride alongs (required observations) with our local Fire Department/EMS System. I learned so much, was able to do some hands on, and had an awesome time with the crew...
Sunday evening (also Mother's Day) starts the beginning of my weeklong Skills Camp in Hayden, Idaho.
At the Skills Camp, I will pretty much be getting hands on experience practicing all the skills I've been learning over the last 6 months, and at the end, will take the Practical Exam test, so that all I'll have left is sit for the Adaptive National/State Test.
I have always loved most anything medical, but all that changed and deepened when I stepped into the EMS world, starting at a family member's injury on the ski slope a few years back, when the Ski Patrol had to get involved... Medical and Veterinary books were like candy to me on long road trips, but now, I live, breathe, and even dream of it....in pretty much everything...especially after starting ride alongs. It's a whole new world to me...one that has fascinated me for years, and one that I have now fallen in love with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...