Background

Monday, May 14, 2012

Skills Camp-Day 2

Monday. Breakfast was at 0730. By Lunch, I was able to pass the Skills tests for:
Basic Bleeding/Shock care
Vital Sign Taking (not actually a skills sheet)
Checking and assembling O2 tank, and administering it via non-rebreather mask to patient
Shane teaching Bleeding/Shock & Vital Signs
Troy teaching O2 & Non-Rebreather Mask Techniques

That afternoon, I passed the Skills tests for:
BVM (Bag-Valve Mask) Ventilation of an apneic patient
Spinal Immobilization (using a backboard)
Robert teaching BVM/Oro/Naso Airways & Spinal Immobilization Techniques
Practicing the BVM
My buddies for the day: Heath (from ID), Ryan & Devon.
While we Basics learned our skills, the "I"s learned about IVs & Advanced Airways Techniques.
The one really neat thing about this class, is that they strive to help us know what it is like to be the patient, and really try to set us up for success. Part of that, was driving around on bumpy, windy roads, taking turns being the patient on the the gurney, and taking B/Ps on each other... I thought it was actually quite comfortable...though others didn't.... :)
Wow my hair is lightening!
Preparing to do Spinal Stabilization
 Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of me on the Backboard, but because of my "small stature", I was  a perfect candidate for being the guinea pig....It was awesome and so much fun...one thing we found out though....I have to use a Pediatric C-Spine Stabilization Collar, not an Adult size. ;p Remember that if I'm ever in an emergency!! :)

That night, we got off early, after dinner, and a big game of Volley Ball was played. Since my soft tissues don't appreciate that type of sport, I went down to the dock and did some wading, etc. I really wanted to go swimming, but it's no fun to swim by yourself, and everyone else wasn't sure about the water (it was actually quite warm!!)
Eventually, I went inside the main room, and got volunteered to be poked by one of the I-students-Ashley (not part of the May Class). She gave me the best IV job I've ever had done, even in the hospital!! Glad she's from around here! I voted for the full 250 ml of Sodium Chloride to be given, since I know I can always use a little more hydration! ;p
Excellent Job Ash!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...