Background

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Cultivating a Mary Heart

As I mentioned in my post on Cultivating a Heart of Prayer, I have really struggled with being a Martha, instead of a Mary, especially in the last couple years.

Though I have the spiritual gift of 'Serving', I am realizing that sometimes semi-consciously I make it an excuse for getting out of uncomfortable situations... I have found that in times of conflict or praise, I tend to shrink inside of myself and do that most effectively and nonchalantly by "busying myself" with whatever work needs done. I busy myself in order to not say words out of frustration and anger. I turn to work in times of trouble and unsurety.
Notice Martha's eyes....she's full of cares--
how often I find myself right there!

I suppose, subconsciously I think "If I am working hard, I either won't have time to think about it, or the problem won't have time to bother me".... However, running away is never the answer.

A few years ago, for a whole year, God kept telling me to "Be Still and Know that I am God". It was really hard for my mind to truly grasp this, as it is so different from what I'd been living. In of myself, it seemed impossible to do this, but through many almost weirdly miraculous happenings -- including some anonymous person giving me a bookmark for my birthday with the words "Be Still and Know that I am God" on it --, God helped me to start making it a reality, by truly turning my world upside down and creating time I never would have had otherwise.

So, what's the difference? Luke 10:38-42 says:
Now it came to pass, as they went, that He entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received Him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard His Word. But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to Him, and said, 'Lord, dost Thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.'
And Jesus answered and said unto her, 'Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.'

I think it can be summed up in Matthew 11:28-30:
Come unto Me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and My burden is light.

Something To Ponder:
"...the realization that I could be simultaneously busy and lazy, that I could be a hectic sluggard, that my busyness was no immunity from laziness...
Busyness does not mean I am diligent.
Busyness does not mean I am faithful.
Busyness does not mean I am fruitful.
....the sluggard can be busy-busy neglecting the most important work, and busy knocking out a to-do list frilled with tasks of secondary importance." -CJ Mahaney

It is good to serve, however, I'm realizing it's really a heart issue. Are we serving in the Flesh, or the Spirit? We are doing it in our strength or in God's strength? It makes all the difference!!

Could it be that we are saying yes to things that cause us to neglect saying yes to God?
Something to think on and purposely pray over..
Honestly, I love being 'Martha'..but what am I missing out on? What a treasure Mary has at Jesus' feet!
I find myself going through phases... It is so much easier to truly serve God when I am living my life in the Spirit. However, if I get busy, miss my personal devotions, or stop making Him my focus, the cares of this life so easily overcrowd the best things of life!!
I don't think it is a "one time, cure all" thing..it's a choice - every moment, every day.

If we would only always find our rest there, and not struggle under our burdens alone. If we would only always ask Jesus before we take another commitment on us... I think we would find a lot more fruitfulness, diligence, and faithfulness there. I am reminded that 'iniquity' is sometimes just doing the right thing at the wrong time.

I pray this is a blessing to you. I know it's a refreshing reminder to me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...