Background

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Autumn Happenings

Where to start...
Well, in September, Esther and I got another milk goat, bred for a February kidding (joining Esther's from last year). David and I sold our incredible herd of goats back in 2010, when God called me to go serve Him in the Philippines... It feels a little odd to be getting my fingers back in that pot again, but it is SO good too!!! We've had cows and cow's milk for a while now, but there is NO comparison in my mind between the two... Goat's milk rules (that is, Nubian milk does).. and, of course I look forward to the multiple kiddings in February and March!! :)
Esther with Katydid and I with Niña
Daniel, Rachel, David, and Samuel all worked with In The Gap in Oklahoma City for 6 weeks during September and October, teaching character in the schools to Middle Schoolers, and conducting after-school Bible clubs. They learned so much and came back with a passion to do the same here in Coeur d' Alene. All of them ran/run with Cd'A Charter Academy during high school, and so they are working towards establishing open lines for discipleship there. Pray that God would throw the doors wide open at Charter!! 
My gorgeous siblings...
I should add that each came back encouraging all young adults to go serve there for a while..it will be well worth it!! Not only for those you work with, but also for yourself!
Samuel (far right) and friends--portrayed as the "Prophets of Baal" for a skit
Left at home, we girls didn't realize how much we have relied on our brothers, and Mama would even go so far to say that we went into a depression with them gone..and, we would have to agree... It is definitely a much more wonderful place with all of them (especially Rachel) home!! {and louder too!} hehe

Meanwhile, relatives from Ohio came over, and we all went on a rendezvous to Whitefish, Montana for the weekend!! That was awesome.. I have always loved heights, and so was excited about zip lining their 7-zip course....incredible scenery!! They sent 2 people at a time, and so you could kinda race each other.... Hehe...of course, since I'm not competitive, I can go as fast as I want... ;D
Mama and James didn't go, as James didn't weigh enough..as it was, the younger ones almost had to hand-haul themselves a couple times.
L to R: Paula, Esther, Sarah, Dan, Oma, Grampaw, Gary, Josiah, Rebekah
One of our highlights was having Oma and Grampaw join us for the ziplining...talk about memories!!
Oma found her new favorite adventure-hobby! :D
One of my favorite parts was landing--that red thing stopped us with a really loud noise as it hit the springs... I enjoyed it so much, I guess I made the record of how scrunched the springs got that day... =D
I made a friend, who just happened to be on our tour..she is a Christian too, and participated with her hubby in the Marathon the next day... Best yet, she has ran in almost all of the US States, and is pregnant to boot!! I want to be like that..
Then there was their ropes course... Though I am fascinated by heights, I was grateful for the double carabineer attaché we had, because as at places, you could be 50 feet above the ground! They had 5 courses with varying difficulty from yellow, green, blue, and black (like ski trails). I did great until I got to the blue, and then my "fun-sizeness" almost got the best of me a few times... Whew.. Suspended bridges, cable walk ways, nets/ladders, trapezes, tube traverses, zip lines, barrels, triangles (that was one of the worst)... There were times the only way I got across was through prayer...talk about adrenaline!
A green course, with the Blue course hanging over head.
Late September was busy for us, with my cousin Ben and Katie's marriage, as well as my childhood best friend-Selah's engagement to my other cousin Luke for a January wedding... Talk about exciting!! It has been such an encouragement to see my cousins seek to glorify God in their relationships..

This Fall, Samuel and Rebekah (and David, though he ended up opting out for In the Gap) ran Cross Country with Coeur d'Alene Charter Academy (talk about being a taxi-sister!) ;D. This last weekend, both ended up at the State Competition in Idaho Falls, where Samuel's team placed 2nd, he placed 3rd in the team (18:13), and 17th of 127 overall, and one of his team won 1st place!
Rebekah's team got 5th place, and she placed 4th in the team (23:30), and 44th of 94 overall.
We are SO blessed to have our dad as our life coach--for everything!! I don't know what I would do without him (and neither would anyone else..) I love you Papa!!
Gotta love the girls' tie-die uniforms!! :)
Our teams were at an incredible disadvantage, as Idaho Falls is 5,000 feet above our regular elevation. They did incredible anyway though.What was memorable though, was that the 1st place girls' team: Soda Springs got a perfect score of 15, with all 7 competitors placing in the top 20, and taking the first 5 places!! Wow...
I've been keeping really busy....besides ranch work and home life, I'm continued participating in the women's Bible study led by my friend Katie. We're currently going through Francis Chan's 'Forgotten God', which has been inspiring and life changing. I'm also doing a Bible study with a friend of mine, going through Elizabeth George's ' Beautiful In God's Eyes' : a study on the Proverbs 31 woman. I am immensely enjoying that book..it is refreshing realizing that by God's grace, I can imitate her, but it starts in the heart and at home..old habits die hard!!

I'm continuing my midwifery certificate studies, and still get medical work in at times.. I do in-home care a couple times a month, and am a nanny weekly to this precious family of 4 kids under 7. I've nannied them as the need arose between Philippine trips for the past couple years, and have learned SO much from them...
What is so special about this family, is that they mimic what my family (if God so wills) could look like. Though I want however many children that God would give me, I have always wished for a 2-3 boys before my first girl, because then by the time my daughter needs a "man" in her life, hopefully at least one of her brothers would be mature enough.. (Not that my hubby wouldn't be that...but he'll be mine, and I am so grateful for my older brother, who takes my arm and helps lead my heart...) =D

Mama always told me I would have a girl just like me, and this little girl is just that way.. Which is great, because I understand where she's coming from!! I'm so glad for the Training Book God has given us--for each one of the children we have--and for the grace He freely bestows on those who ask for it!!

That is something I've been learning a lot of.. We always have a choice--even when given the grace, or the way to escape from temptation, we have a choice to accept that grace or the escape!!

Preparations for the Belize trip also takes time, and I am most enjoying my job as Treasurer--I can't describe the blessing it is to see funds come in first hand..The gal that helps me can't help but laugh as sometimes I get almost 'giddy'..who wouldn't when you get to witness first hand the generosity of others??

I'm also taking a book keeping/accounting course, and am enjoying it, despite the difficulty in understanding how it all goes together--praise God for common sense!! (Of which I'm short on sometimes.. ;p)

God is so good, and I am so thankful for all those He has placed in my life to both encourage and be encouraged by. To God be the Glory!!

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
~ John 14:27 ~

Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: Thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness; to the end that my glory may sing praise to Thee, and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks unto Thee for ever.
~ Psalms 30:11 ~

6 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the update! It's funny how we see each other ever Sunday and sometimes during the week, but there's always something we don't get around to talk about. Love you girl, and see you tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was fast! ;) Yes, I completely agree with that...but then, with us living life 24/7, I guess it makes sense we wouldn't even remember to talk about everything we could...
    Hehe..I know one thing I could talk about that though...and that would have to do sneaking up on brothers in a dark room at night on our hands and knees...lol Who knew we could still be such kids?? Yea for the youthfulness in our old maid years.. =D May it continue forever, amen (the youthfulness part). ;P
    Love you and see you tomorrow, dear sister!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sarah, I so enjoyed reading this post, feeling as though I have had a sneak-peek into your life, which is so fun! But I have to mention that my biggest giggle & smiles came from these comments! =) "Yea for the youthfulness in our old maid years...=D. May it continue forever, amen (the youthfulness part). ;P"
    LOL! What fun times!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mallory!! I'm glad you enjoyed the post.. and I'm glad that the comments made you giggle...
      I have to say I was doing the same... ;p 'old maid-ness' has been a topic of late..I have had more than a few people tell me I'm now an old maid...it's so funny!! Just wait until I'm really old and gray, walking around with a cane, and all my gray hair in a bun...my friends and I will all walk around the malls talking in the granny voice, telling the boys "You, pick your pants up!! Didja hear me?" hehe
      My mom makes the BEST granny voice...oh my.
      Wanna join?? ;)

      Delete
  4. Hahaha! YES! I would love to join-- I have a dear sister in Christ here, Kimberly, and we have enjoyed those types of jokes lately as well! I'll have to remember to maybe ask your Mother about her "granny voice" when we meet! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! Welcome to the Old Maid club!! (I can just imagine us all doing a jig--you know like those paper maidens you used to cut out as a girl, that would make a whole string of girls??)
      Do ask my dear Mother...I'm sure she'd be happy to oblige.. =D

      Delete

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...