Background

Friday, May 27, 2011

Day 2: Korea to Philippines

As I wrote in my last post, the Flight Attendants have the cutest outfits!!

Jordan being asked what beverage she wanted, on our flight to Manila.

Finding our luggage in Manila

Waiting for the bus...



On the bus....what a happy lot!!! (The rest of the people were such good sports, including the Asian man who volunteered to take our picture!!)

Jordan next to a 'Jordan' Vehicle :D

Getting our luggage together after our airport transfer
Our travels had gone perfectly....until we changed airlines in Manila. Our Travel Agent had assured us that we could bring 2 check-ons & 2 carry-ons, with a limit of 50 lbs. each, & that all the airlines would be okay with that....
That was all good & true...until Manila. :D

At the Manila Airport (Philippine Air), they only allow a certain weight (still not sure what that is...but approximately 35-45 lbs/bag), otherwise they charge you an arm & a leg in 'excess baggage fees'. Then, they only allow 1 carry-on (the other has to be checked), & they cannot weigh more than 7 kg/15 lbs (though they seemed more lenient there...or maybe it was just the lady).
Anyway, I think once it was all said & done, we paid between $80 & $90/bag more, & who knows how much for the extra carry-on...equalling a little less than $200.

We appealed to the higher authorities, & even called MMC, but there was no other available option...oh well!! I think some of it may have had to do with the tickets we got (they were 'cheaper' I guess. ;D)

Anyway, we still had 2+ hrs. left after we got everything figured out, & all of us agreed that the whole ordeal brought us SO much closer. Just imagine 6 girls (ages 18-24), who have been traveling for 3 days, don't have enough sleep, haven't taken showers for ages, & are hot, stinky, & sweaty, with all their hormones/emotions to boot PLUS they're all studying to be midwives....... We had SO much fun!!!

Guess what???? I got to fly on a Boeing 747 on our way to Davao!!!!! I have always wanted to fly in one (I guess I did a long time ago, but I don't remember that), & so this was SO exciting.

We got in around 6pm or so, got our luggage together, & walked out to be greeted by Krys(tina) McNeil & Joy. After packing all of our luggage inside the van & the MMC 'Ambulance', we all piled in after it. Unfortunately, I didn't get pictures. :(

There were quite a few young Filipinos gathered by the vans, laughing, talking, waving, etc. & so Jordan and I (amongst others) started waving, saying "Hi", etc. While pulling away, we were yelling 'Bye' back & forth, & were quite tickled when one of the teen guys semi-shouted "Love You!!!"

None of us were sure who he was saying it to, or if he was just saying it generally, but of course, there was a chorus of laughter from us girls as soon as he said it...
And so, that was our welcome to the Philippines!!!

Unfortunately (for my family :D), as soon as I landed in the Philippines, something inside me said "I think I've come home!" I don't know what God has planned for me in the future, but whatever it is, I know that at least for the next 3 months, I am completely in the center of His will.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! How exciting, Sarah! It will be neat to see how God uses you there, these next months!:) Is it hard to believe you're there??:) Time sure does fly.

    Love you!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ashley!
    In some ways, yes...especially when we first got here, a bunch of girls kept pinching ourselves (literally). :D
    I think we all are starting to come to reality though, especially after most of us got on the job last night....
    Blessings!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...