Background

Thursday, January 1, 2015

2014 in Review

Abraham Lincoln said, "In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." Well, I for one can say that 2014 has been one of those 'full life' years....

One of those years that you always have dreamed of but sneaks up on you unexpectedly, and even while it's happening, you're quite sure you must be dreaming.... It's been one of those years... To put it simply, it just hasn't been that simple. :D But then, at the same time, it has.

January found me serving the Belizean people for 2 weeks with a mission team from our church--how incredible that was!!! Only to come home to a spin of activity when I helped my childhood best friend of 15 years marry my cousin!! (What an awesome way to keep her for keepers!!) :)
February was the craziest month... Kinda funny when you find yourself talking to a guy (okay, not just any guy ;p) about how many kids you want (on Valentines), with no idea that he's been talking to your dad for weeks about you...and then to be told while skiing together the next week that he's interested in you, and searching that out together for a few days before saying goodbye for a month while you travel Europe with your family. With an unspoken 'Let's not communicate' rule between you for most of the trip.
Tasha took the balloon pictures on Valentines of us, and that black and white photo (thanks to Kellie?), is unfortunately the only photo I have of Alex and I on February 21st. :)
March was memorable--flying half-way around the world (not even sure if you're going to make your flights), and visiting 9 countries, seeing 10: a layover in Holland; visiting the Pinkerton valley in Scotland; walking the Putney Commons in England (my maternal grandmother's name); 12 hours in Paris, where you try to fit all the sight seeing in you possibly can, and then minutes from the time your train leaves, you snap a group picture in front of the Eiffel Tower, only to have the 2 taxis get separated, and no form of communication (or payment) with the other taxi to figure out where everyone is, and then on top of that, having to grab your baggage and run to a different train station--all with minutes left before you're stranded;
experiencing a sleeping car on the way to Germany, where you walk the ghastly remains of Dachau, and visit the quaint, gorgeous countryside of old-time Bavaria; driving through the edge of Austria; and seeing the palace lights of Liechtenstein; arriving in Switzerland and beholding the incredible mountain beauty and breathing the fresh air, and skiing the alps of Zermatt (what an opportunity of a lifetime!), receiving a 2nd degree burn to remember it by, not to mention calling your sweetheart long-distance and his enjoying trying to make out what you're saying because the connection is bad (all because he asked you too--weeks before);
traveling through the Italian countryside and exploring Venice, Italy and all the amazing canals, architecture, and gelato (mmm!!!); traveling to Monaco and hiking the 7+ miles of it's borders in 5 hours, all the time wishing that your sweetie was there with you...your Man-Monaco; day trips back to French villages where you explored and zip lined; all the while trying to remember the many different courtesies you learned for each country you visited, and using them correctly with the correct people; missing Alex so much that his sister gives it away and he emails you the sweetest poem ever, and you start communicating again.
And...serving on your first Jury Duty (a domestic battery case) all the way to the end!!
That was March. And it was beautiful.
Top Row: Little Pinkerton & Pinkerton Barony, Scotland; Windsor Castle, and Lincoln Statue
2nd Row: Girls in Paris; (2) Neuschwanstein Castle, Bavaria, Germany; Austria
3rd Row: Zermatt, Switzerland; Venecian Gelato and 2nd Degree Sunburns; Monacoan Inlet
4th Row: Overlooking Monaco, Monaco ;); Biking & Ziplining in France
Oh...one more photo.. (It's SO weird thinking I can post all of these photos now!!!) :D
This was Alex and my first ever official photo...priceless moments. :)
April was full of readjusted to home life, babysitting my siblings while my parents visited China, babysitting a few times overnight for friends, getting back into the work routine, figuring out how a relationship works and still trying to keep it quiet,  while slowing down your decisive heads so that your father can finish his heart-searching of your young man.

It was getting alpacas ready to market, and correcting and sewing up a friends's ewe's prolapsed uterus with the best helper in the world - Alex ;), and volunteering as a victim with the Coeur d'Alene Disaster Drill with your bestie as a young, hysterical 32-wk. pregnant woman with multiple injuries.
It was taking a road trip down to Texas with your family and friends for a homeschool conference (by way Grand Canyon, Carlsbad Caverns, and Zion National Park), where you led 6 girls, ages 12-15 in crafts and heart-searching on what it means to be a daughter of the King, where you don't have to believe the lies and fears Satan tries to feed you. It was wonderful catching up with dear friends there too!
Park time, Selah & I  as victims, Open Arms Fundraiser, my Southern girl pose in TX, Zion Natn'l Park, Carlsbad Caverns, Grand Canyon, & my COMMIT girls
May was greeted by alpacas being born, shearing day, birthdays to celebrate, relatives visiting, watching another friend get married, and starting to sell more alpacas from our herd of 50+, and of course lots of working at the Firm too. We broke ground for our very own PRS office (We've rented all these years), and are looking forward to moving in sometime in mid-2015. A bunch of us 'older people' went and watched The Lego Movie (hilarious, but not for kids), and what fun memories that made! Alex also painted his car, and so my brothers and I went over to help...and of course, when asked to dress like a minion, who can resist?? ;)
Gru and Minion (aka painting Alex's car), 33 days worth of shredding at work, Lego Movie with friends, our first cria for the year-Ballad, Esther's hair, Shearing, Breaking ground for PRS' New Office, & Wedding memories (with Tasha and Hank!)
June was full of company....really a blur: my grandma, aunt, and cousin stayed for a couple weeks at our home (and more cousins after that), leaving just before we incorporated 5 missionary kids for a jolly month's stay while their parents traveled. We had lots of fun outings, and Alex and I tried to 'unfriend eachother' at church for a {terrible} month, while he wrapped up what he needed to finish before becoming 'official'. Rachel and I traveled to western Washington for a friends' graduation, visiting the amazing Thorp's Fruit Stand and Antique Mall on the way.
Park Visits, First Hair cut given, visiting his parents and relatives, detailing his car (unknown to me, that was the day he asked my dad to court me officially =D), more park visits and Father's Day, our visit to the Pattersons in WA, Alex likes doing my hair, Murillo and cousins' visit, and adorable Hank and Tasha. :D
July was a turning point in my life for many reasons: I turned 21 on the 1st, and was thoroughly surprised by a huge surprise princess birthday party (thanks to Alex's distractions ;P). On July 11th, my dad and Alex planned an outing where Alex officially asked to court me at the Melting Pot, which officially began/continued a wild, amazing ride that we're still on. :D

We had a wonderful family reunion in late July (where almost everyone pitched in to work on securing my quilt, which I embroidered in my teens, so I can quilt it). It was so wonderful seeing family members again that I haven't seen in ages! :) Also, Alex, David, and I went to help video a wedding up north - it was gorgeous and made more wonderful memories. I love how easily Alex and I work together as a team.
Family Photos, Officially courting, My surprise birthday party, July 4th, stabilizing my quilt, wedding video team, our Family Reunion
August was started pretty quick with our annual Client Appreciation Banquet, where Samuel and Rebekah sang a patriotic song, and I played piano for a majority of the time as background music. I also made a record on how many alpacas I've ever sold, and by September, had downscaled our herd of 50+, down to 26. It was a slower month for me, with at one point me being the only one home with mom, as everyone else was either traveling, or as was Daniel's case- in college (as he moved to WSU to finish his last 2 years of pre-med).
Client Appreciation Banquet, the boys' Alert Cadet fishing trip in Hells' Canyon,  helping Daniel settle into WSU, and a photo David took of Eagle River, Alaska where he and Rachel were born.
September, I threw a bridal shower for Tasha (Alex's sister), with the help of some awesome people! It was a wonderful, rich time of fellowship and fun, followed a few weeks later by a girls' party her sisters-in-law-to-be threw. I also got to hang out with Tasha and prepare the BBQ with Alex later in the month while all the guys threw a surprise party for Hank and did some shooting... :) So much fun.
I kept really busy with work, helping out at the Henkoski's, and sewing Alex's and my matching outfits for Tasha's wedding too...plus, I took Esther to babysit some friend's kids over the weekend too (and was able to bring my sewing machine to get some work done too! :D)
October was wonderful, glorious, crazy, but amazing. Not only did I get to watch Tasha and Hank's marriage, but I got to assist Alex with his directing, MC'ing, and filming it too. It was so much fun spending time & getting to know most of their relatives too, and even got a couple of them to our place! I was also glad to be home to be a support during all of life's transitions too.
Alex and I also got to film the last 2 shows of Rockin B' Ranch's 20th Anniversary Dinner Shows. What an honor that was!! (And we got to spend our courtship anniversary together, for the first time up to date). Alex also got a new winter vehicle, and we got to celebrate much venison put into our freezer, thanks to my siblings! :)
I also started working 4 days a week at the end of the month, which actually was a crazy idea, but I survived (praise God!). :) Actually, work is to blame for my falling behind on all of life and blogging...sorry guys!
November, God reminded me again (though it took a while), that His grace is sufficient..actually, that was the theme of my Autumn and Winter. In some ways, it was a little more relaxed than the previous couple months, yet, in other ways, it was just as crazy--especially work-wise. Thanksgiving week was amazing, with Alex spending a few days and relatives coming here for the holidays. It was nice to have Daniel home for a bit too.
My parents celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary, and Alex and I - our 4th official courtship anniversary. Also, we had a father/daughter / mother/son weekend after Thanksgiving-awesome memories!
December didn't have enough snow, but even so, we got some good sledding in, and even had a skiff for Christmas. I took an extended time off from work over the holidays to recoup and get my brain on straight again (it's a pretty mentally taxing job, though incredible atmosphere!!!), and enjoyed spending more time with family and friends than I had in a good while. We enjoyed lots of festivities and company too. The Hogans came at the end of December, and of course, with a household of 23, there's bound to be fun!
Looking back over the year, it was a year of transition (even with my blog). At times it was really rough--mentally, emotionally, even physically (especially with my arm injury in the Spring)...however, God proved to be faithful, and above all else, was and is everything I need. I'm so not perfect, and I've made a lot of mistakes and had to make a lot of attitude adjustments, but through  all that, I learned so much--about me, about God, about what a blessing it is to have parents like mine, and how blessed I am to have Alex (though I've known how special he is for years--even before I really knew him).
I'm looking forward to 2015, and all that it will hold for me. I'm looking forward to posting hopefully a little more regularly, and getting back into some of the old habits I used to have with posting, and maybe adding some new ones too...

Above all, I have learned more this last year what Psalms 4, 5, & 7a mean:
"Delight thyself also in the LORD; and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in Him; and He shall bring it to pass. Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for....him." ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...