Background

Friday, February 3, 2012

They Say I'm Crazy....

December 7th, 2011 was a really good day for me. It was that day that my Orthodontist gave me the go-ahead to get my Orthognathic (jaw) Surgery done anytime after February 1st. On January 9th, I had a meeting with my Oral Surgeon to get a preliminary surgery evaluation done, and on January 16th, I got the Surgery date scheduled for Monday, February 27th, 2012!!!!

Why do I need surgery done? My jaws are not aligned with one another, so that I have an open and cross bite...(only a few of my teeth touch--mostly posterior molars, and my midline is 1 tooth off), making chewing quite difficult (to say the least) and limiting my food/nutrition intake. Also, my sinus passages are all messed up and deformed, so they're going to open them up, as well as some other stuff....

What's going to be done? I'm actually hoping to have 5 surgeries done...crazy, I know... :-/
1) Orthognathic (jaw) Surgery - Basically, they're going to slit me from 'ear to ear', except it'll be horizontal, and inside my mouth, or as my dad says "they're going to take all my upper teeth out and then put them back in. :) Seriously though, they will be cutting above my upper gums, all the way around, and "move" it to the correct position, and then place titanium bolts and plates and sutures to hold everything in place. This link gives a bit of an idea regarding what orthognathic surgery entails, though it focuses more on lower jaw problems/surgery than the upper jaw, which is what mine is.
2) Nasal Sill Osteoplasty - To correct my sinuses
3) Inferior (partial) Turbinectomy - My turbinate bones are abnormally large, which has caused many problems (mostly breathing), so they will be removing around 1/2-2/3rds of them.
4) All 4 Wisdom Teeth removed - And, I guess it's that time of life....I have to have them out anyway, and since my bottom 2 are resting on nerves, I might as well get those taken care of now instead of having them done in 3-6 months...(and have all the pain, limited food, (and fees), limited to one sitting too, right???) I mean, what is a little extra pain?
5) Labial Frenectomy (of the frenulum) - like my older brother's, my frenulum (the skin that attaches my lip to my gum, is too long), and so, following in his footsteps, I'm hoping that they can make the little 'slice' at the same time...  I've helped do Lingual Frenectomies (for tongue-tied infants), so that'll be fun.

Everyone says I'm crazy, because I'm excited...or maybe that is just the way I handle it....I mean, why worry over...well...anything?? (Isn't there something better that you can expend your energies on?) Why not make it  into an 'adventure' and an 'experience'?? Doesn't that make you more qualified to help and understand others even better??

I do have to say though, that the one thing that will be... ....interesting, is potentially getting IM (intramuscular) shots...I have always enjoyed getting my blood drawn...in fact, every time I do, I kind of get a "high" feeling, (if that's allowed), and IV's aren't that bad (helps get me hydrated), and I've given tons of IM shots to others--both people and animals...but, well....I don't want to say I'm nervous...but it will be an experience!! (especially with 'the' locations....)

Recovery Time? So, you're probably wondering what the recoup will be like...here is what I know so far:  Pretty much, I'm supposed to treat my jaw surgery like a fracture-meaning it'll take at least 6 weeks to be kind of healed.
Eating will be very limited for 6-12 weeks, and depending on if my jaws are tied shut, I might have to be fed through a feeding tube (like we use for alpacas and goats) B-|  for the first few days.

Recovery time really depends on the person, in regards to how fast they are able to "spring back". For the first 2 days, I'll be pretty much down for the count, and the worst day - for pain - is Day 3. After that, it'll vary...with how many operations I'll be having done, it might prolong my "springing back" for a bit...we'll see. From Day 10-14, I should be back to kind of normal, except for any strenuous work (like swimming or barn activities/dust), and by the 4th-5th Week, I should be able to do all of the above.

Of course, ideally, I'd like to be able to be downstairs for Bible Study the Wednesday following, and be at church the next week....but that is probably unrealistic...or is it??
As you can probably see, I'm kind of treating this whole thing lightly....but I would sincerely ask for your prayers.

- With any operation and anesthesia, there are dangers, and unexpected aftermaths. I have a lot of appointments in the next few weeks to prepare for the surgery, including physical and heart checks, to make sure my body can handle the trauma.  I am not allergic to any medications, that I know of, but of course, there is always that possibility. Please pray that I would continue trusting God with everything, and that I would survive the operation. (if it is His will of course ;p)

- We have done a lot of research, in regards to finding our Ortho/Surgeon team, and are confident that the job will be done well. Our surgeon is very detailed, and takes each patient individually, instead of lumping them in a 'group', per se.  Please pray though, that as he prepares and performs the surgery, that God would guide his hand and his mind, and that he won't have any "oops!" moments.

- Please pray for my parents and siblings, that there would not be any unnecessary stress, and that as Mom especially will probably take care of me, that God would give her more added grace during this time.

- That as we discern and research our Pain Management Options, that God would give us wisdom

- That above all, I would be a light and witness to all those around me (both in the hospital and here at home), and that I wouldn't get too grumpy or selfish....either (like I would tend to do). I know it will be struggle for me to keep always positive...because sometimes...honestly, it's easier not to!!

Throughout all, please do not think that I am 'fearful' or 'nervous' or need 'condolences' about all of this. It's just not the way I'm wired. I am excited. I am looking forward to it, and am taking everything else in stride.

I am left with these verses:
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
~ Philippians 4:13 ~
For I will restore health unto thee, and I will heal thee of thy wounds, saith the LORD.
~ Jeremiah 30:17 ~
....I am the LORD that healeth thee.
~ Exodus 15:26 c~
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
~ Isaiah 40:31 ~

4 comments:

  1. Wow Sarah! Sounds like... fun!!! :D

    I will be praying for you and thinking of you on the 27th... :D

    It was nice to talk with you today! I really enjoyed our visit.

    "Please pray though, that as he prepares and performs the surgery, that God would guide his hand and his mind, and that he _ have any "oops!" moments." Did you mean to say WON'T have any "oops!" moments?

    Much Love in Christ,
    Katelyn

    The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm {27}:1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katelyn!!
      It was so good talking to you today as well!!
      Thanks for your editing catch....guess I need an editor too!! ;p
      God bless you as you seek to serve Him in everything you do....you have such a gift and talent with your music....
      By His Grace,
      Sarah

      Delete
  2. Hey Sarah!
    WOW. I honestly have to say I really admire the positive outlook you have on this adventure!!? May the Lord give you lots of strength-I had braces the last two years, invisalign and those plus, wisdom teeth out and an infection afterwards were VERY painful!! I can't even begin to imagine...but you are a good example to me!! I'll definitely be praying for you on the 27th as well!

    I did get your email and have been wanting to get to replying to it-hopefully soon! Love and hugs to you, friend! Lord bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley!
      Good to hear from you!! I will appreciate your prayers.... :)
      Wish I could see you again soon, but we're going to the Indiana Conference this year, because my brother is working at HQ...
      Maybe next year!!
      Many hugs, prayers and blessings as you serve God!!

      Delete

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...