Background

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Coming of Age

"...For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more."  ~ Luke 12:48

Just as there was an age distinction made in the numbering of the children of Israel, my parents have striven to make those distinctions in our home. As we see in Deuteronomy 1:39 ("Moreover, your little ones who you said would become a prey, and your sons, who this day have no knowledge of good or evil, shall enter there, and I will give it to them and they shall possess it."), there is a distinction between infants and children who understand good and evil.
We have observed that this change usually comes around the 6th birthday. So, it is at that time that our little ones stop taking naps, and take on more responsibility (though carefully balanced with corresponding maturity).

Even a child is known by his doings, whether his work be pure, and whether it be right.
~ Proverbs 20:11 ~

Jewish customs have a Bar Mitzvah for boys at age 13, which is their Rite of Passage into young adulthood. We have chosen to do something similar for young men at 13 years old, and for girls at 12 (as they mature earlier), which we call a 'Rite of Passage'. For months prior, my parents specifically disciple each child, and prepare them for young adulthood.

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
~ 1 Corinthians 13:11 ~

Once they have completed that time, then we have a special ceremony, where they share what the Lord has taught them and the special Bible passages they have memorized and meditated on. Then they sign a covenant which they together with my parents have put together, which includes purposes and commitments they have made for their future, including their growing in the Lord and waiting for marriage until they are prepared, as well as receiving the full blessing of our parents, and for us girls, that includes giving our hearts to our father for his safekeeping.
We then have specific people sign them as witnesses to keep them accountable and encourage them during this next phase of life, because, as we all know, the teenage years are some of the hardest, as it includes a time of internalizing all we have been taught, and embracing (or sometimes not) it as our own.
With that new stage of life (and hopefully maturity as well), they take on more responsibility (including legal responsibility at various ages), and receive more privilege, in various aspects.

In this day and age, our US legal system has created various ages at which, a young adult legally receives certain freedoms, rights, responsibilities, and particularly "emancipation". However, emancipation is a worldly view. Everyone will always be under authority. Even when young men become the leaders of their own home, will be under God's authority, whereas we women will always be under the authority of our fathers or husbands. The workplace shows the same--we are under the authority of our employers.

Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: For he is the minister of God to thee for good.
~ Romans 13:1-4a ~

The Pentateuch shows many times that males were considered "men" at the age of 20, when they could go out to war. (However, in war times, here in the US, if you hiked that age up a bit, then you got a LOT more drafters.)

And the Lord spake unto Moses.....Take ye the sum of all the congregation of the children of Israel...every male by their polls; from twenty years old and upward, all that are able to go forth to war in Israel...
~ Numbers 1a, 2-3 ~

Thus, we also have a "Coming of Age" at age 20 in our family. Mine was last weekend. Unlike the Rite of Passage, this one was a much more intimate celebration, which was unique, because with a large families, it only takes a few to make a whopping 80. ;)
Family and Friends
Introduction and Blessings
Love my dress!!
Most of my closest friends and mentors were there, and besides feasting and fellowshipping, I gave a blessing to each one of them for what part they have had in my life, and they gave me words of wisdom and encouragement for this next phase of life.
My brother. My confidante. My comforter. My prayer partner.
My cohorts since childhood...thank you dear sisters!!
Dear Tabitha...she flew all the way from Chicago for this!!
It is amazing to me how the Spirit of the Lord moves. He has done so much this last year to prepare me for this time, but the finale was completed in Mexico, at which I had at first been very hesitant to go to. Though I know that in myself is no good thing, and I see the inadequacy, selfishness, and pride of my heart, I know that God will continue to faithfully mold me into His image, and that as I look to Him and those who have gone before me, He will lead and guide me.
My precious Oma
Dear Esther
My daddy and I
I am excited for this next phase of life, whatever it may hold, and embrace it completely, knowing that my ultimate goal is to walk closer to the Lord, and shine His light without shame. All glory to God!

Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
~ Philippians 2:3-4 ~

3 comments:

  1. That's so neat, Sarah~ Hope things are going really well for you~ Do you have alot of plans for the next few months? I've missed reading on your life~:) I'm here in Alaska this summer working at another camp~:) Lord bless you~~ <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley!! Wow! You're back in my dear beloved Alaska again..I'm so happy for you! My plans these next few months are still being decided, however, most of it includes sticking close to home, helping my mom out, working the ranch, hopefully getting some midwifery studying in, doing nanny work, and housecleaning/organization for a friend...
      It'll definitely keep me busy!! :)
      Oh, I'm also really hoping to get some good canning/jamming in there too...

      How long are you in AK? Still the same camp?
      God bless you sweet sister as you continue serving Him!!!!

      Delete
  2. Hey! Sorry I didn't check to see if you had replied until just now! Yes, I am back in your beloved Alaska and it's becoming beloved to me too.;) Not sure if that's proper grammar.:P Anyhow, I'm in Alaska until the beginning of August working at another camp in sterling! It's been a different experience and I've learned a lot. It's still wonderful to be back in Alaska!!:) The Lord bless you too and thanks for the reply to my email! I'll try to write back when I get a chance!:)

    ReplyDelete

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...