Background

Friday, April 11, 2014

Life, Drills, and More

Besides my recording my life and adventures in the Philippines, I'm not sure I have blogged so fully or consistently until we went to Europe...thus, I hope you can excuse the last few weeks of silence as not only did I need the reprieve, but life has been so full I simply have not had much opportunity for any internet time!

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of photos on hand to show the happenings of the last few weeks, but following my last post, I spent the weekend nannying 'my precious little family' of 4 amazing kids for the weekend, ages 8 - 22 months...that included loading them up and taking them to a music rehearsal with me, playing at the Kroc, and living life with them while trying to direct Esther (back home) via phone how to deliver Katydid's malpresenting goat kid!! It was amazing and crazy, but all's well that ends well!
This week also, I had the opportunity to babysit some other friends of mine (6 kids this time - 13 - 1.5) for a day. The thing I love about babysitting/nannying Christian families is that each time I glean new ideas, learn new things, and get to practice my patience, creativity, and love. The question keeps coming to my head, "Do I have the skills, character, and especially selflessness it takes to be a mom?" And I think my answer is, "Yes, by God's grace I shall!"

I've also been busy with my part-time job at my dad's financial firm, Bible Study, spending time with friends (many of whom I have been sorely neglecting in the last few months), spending time with my Jesus, working on the ranch, correcting and sewing a ewe up with a prolapsed uterus, and many other various activities...

One of which, I want to specifically highlight today.... Yesterday, I had the opportunity to volunteer as a 'victim' for the Coeur d'Alene Disaster Drill, which was a 2-day drill done with Kootenai Health practicing how the Medical system would work if say, there was a blizzard and roofs started caving in causing multiple injuries... How would triage work? How would Incident Command be set up, and would it work smoothly with the City Departments, citizens, hospitals, and Emergency Personnel?

Everyone agreed it went much smoother than last year's drill, though a few kinks are still being worked out.
Corn Syrup and Red Food dye makes excellent blood (however, it doesn't dry fast!) :)
It all started when Selah asked me to volunteer with her (as her Nurse grandma had asked her to help)... I *of course* said yes!! :) Medical anything--especially with the ER is AWESOME! This is my life! Arriving at 6:15am, we signed in and got all 'moulaged' for our parts. I was asked to act as a 'hysterical' 32 week pregnant, 20 y/o female, who hearing the ceiling cracking started running from the building, but fell on the ice and had a occipital laceration, broken wrist, hip and lower leg bruising and injuries, and was in possible premature labor. :)
Saran wrap makes an excellent wrap for holding your "baby" in and keeping shape
Grandma S., Selah, and I (baking soda makes great sheet rock dust)
 Grandma S. had a C-Spine injury causing paralysis from her waist down and minor contusions, and Selah had a fractured pelvis among other things.
I think the baby is wanting to come.... :)
Charcoal makes nice bruising, along with liquid foundation and red spray paint as needed.
I guess they picked the right person, as I had a whole bunch of people come up asking when I was due, if it was a boy or girl, and if it was my first... Some thought it was awesome that they were able to find a pregnant woman to fill a role! Goodness....it was so funny!
After we finished the drill and debrief, Selah and I met up with Luke (my dear cousin, and Selah's hubby ;D), and went out for coffee....well, actually, we walked...as we were... Oh the looks were priceless!!! I still looked all pregnant too...crazy, I know! You should have seen the faces when we walked into the coffee shop! It was priceless....and we acted completely oblivious. Of course we told those who asked. :)
One of these days, maybe this will be my reality... :)
I shall blog more as time allows...
Looking Forward, we are leaving for Texas to see the Grand Canyon and ultimately for a homeschool conference next week, where I will be teaching young women-ages 12-15 for the week. After that, one of my big priorities is working to downsize our alpaca herd and organizing my life, so if you don't hear from me much, just know that I'm busy working, serving, or something like that. :)

"As thou knowest not what is the way of the spirit, nor how the bones do grow in the womb of her that is with child: even so thou knowest not the works of God who maketh all.
In the morning sow thy seed, and in the evening withhold not thine hand: for thou knowest not whether shall prosper, either this or that, or whether they both shall be alike good."
~ Ecclesiastes 11:5-6 ~

"And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you; that ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that ye may have lack of nothing."
~ 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 ~

2 comments:

  1. Wow, it sounds like you have had a busy week. When I first saw the "accident" pictures, and hadn't read the post yet, I was really concerned something had gone wrong for you all!
    And BTW you seriously looked pregnant:) you had me fooled:)

    Have a safe trip! I hope the weather is nice in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Well, good thing you got over being fooled... hehe Pregnancy can wait for a while.... but it sure was fun acting!!
      Thanks!! I know we shall!!
      Blessings to you and your family Elanee!!

      Delete

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...